Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grease puddle from Blackstone grill

Options
So I got a 36-inch Blackstone griddle about a month ago. It's a great product and it compliments the Egg wonderfully. I have the newer version with the grease trap in the back. It got slid over so it didn't align with the hole in the back lip of the griddle. Over two or three cooks I pushed grease and food bits through the hole and they went straight down to my patio pavers. Now I have about a twelve inch grease smear on my pavers. My wife is not pleased. My dog loves it. Since my wife wins on this one, any ideas on how to get rid of a grease smear on pavers. They are fairly porous and I'm a little stumped. My dog is doing what he can, but he's not helping much. Any ideas?

Comments

• dbennett561
    Options
    i have nothing to offer.....other than saying "I'm sorry to hear"

Tampa, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    So I got a 36-inch Blackstone griddle about a month ago. It's a great product and it compliments the Egg wonderfully. I have the newer version with the grease trap in the back. It got slid over so it didn't align with the hole in the back lip of the griddle. Over two or three cooks I pushed grease and food bits through the hole and they went straight down to my patio pavers. Now I have about a twelve inch grease smear on my pavers. My wife is not pleased. My dog loves it. Since my wife wins on this one, any ideas on how to get rid of a grease smear on pavers. They are fairly porous and I'm a little stumped. My dog is doing what he can, but he's not helping much. Any ideas?
    Actually, yes I do...

There is a product that I have used on my driveway to clean a nasty leak/spill from the hydraulic unit by a tree cutting crew's truck. 

It is called ACT cleaner. It is a company in CO. Their site is: 
    actcleaners@comcast.com

I forget now the price but it wasn't much. Just follow the directions. You may need 2 or even three applications but you don't need much and the 1 pound jar will last you for many applications! BTW it has NO shelf life!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Options
    Had a similar issue on my bluestone patio.  Used ZEP Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser.  I let it soak overnight and then hit it lightly with the pressure washer the next morning.  Came out like new...and made SWMBO happy :blush:
    KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
    Southeastern, MA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Oooops...when I said no shelf life that was positive - NOT a negative! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oooops...when I said no shelf life that was positive - NOT a negative! 
    Infinite shelf life!!  =)=)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lowe’s has a solid rubber chevron pattern mat that I put under mine. They have 2 sizes I think I got the 6’*4’ for my blackstone and fryer to sit on. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Sell your house and get a new house with clean pavers! Perhaps a new wife! No just do what the others said.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This is the larger chevron mat I believe it’s 5 or 6 ^ 3 and was like $35. They have a smaller one also that would be perfect for just the blackstone I think it was $25. I have both the one with nothing on it I put under the front of my vertical to protect the patio when I’m saucing stuff on the slide out racks. 
  • Clusterbuster
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the products you all mentioned. Matt is a good idea.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Curious as to how well the rear trap works when in the correct position? I'm considering buying the new top for mine as it is slightly warped and still drips grease on occasion. I've tried some of the fixes that others have used but still not perfect. I also don't want to update if it doesn't work properly. Thanks
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    @Lit we have that exact same fryer. How’re you cleaning yours out? Pain in the  butt....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    The rear drip on my 22 inch BS works great and is easy to clean       just check the position before cooking      also could put clips beside it to hold in place if worried.  I have nat had it move at all.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy some TSP (trisodium phosphate) and diatomaceous earth (used as pool filter media), make a slurry and rub into the stain.  Let it sit overnight and scrape it up, scrub and repeat. 

Google this for ratios.
    Options
    I buy this product in a quart bottle for $7.95 at a local auto parts store.  It's can be diluted 50%, then sprayed on your patio.  Or just pour some on the concrete and spray lightly with a garden hose.  That activates the enzymes and gets them eating the oil.  I used it on our driveway, and it made the oil spots disappear in about 7 days.  I also use on my shop floor about once a month (by the Blackstone), and it keeps my concrete clean. This is similar to what is used in the soil around leaking underground fuel tanks.  Those enzymes love to eat oil!