Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Experienced first backdraft - escaped with singed hair!

Options
I've had my BGE for 2.5yrs, cooked on it close to 100 times but today for the first time I experienced a huge flare up. 

I always burp it (2secs). And was cooking a picanha (reverse sear) - during searing at 300c it was incredibly smoky.  I burped the egg, then lifted the lid for a brief shock of flames - I was ok. Hair on right arm slightly singed and one eyebrow but nothing noticeable!

I then attempted to open again - held the burp for 5 seconds before flames licked up through the lid gap and I had to close it. I ended up reaching in with tongs through a small gap to rescue the beef (happy ending - the beef was safely rescued. Phew). 

Not sure what caused it - I've done picanha exactly this way 10 times before. It wasn't particularly fattier than other times but perhaps the fat layer was dripping and fuelling the flames.

What's best to do in this situation?

BGE website says "If you have a flame flare-up – quickly close the lid and the air vents to control the flame" - but I would think this would starve the fire even more and cause more of a problem when you open it? Unless you plan to leave it shut down for 5mins (while your beef dries up. Sob). 

Here's the beef anyway. Perfect medium rare and worth the arm-hair loss

Comments

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That truly is a prefect medium rare in my book!  Glad to hear you are OK.

When I had a backdraft it spooked me enough that I shut it down completely for 4ish minutes than burped a lot.  Seemed OK.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    You’re 100% right, closing all vents is just a fail-safe, but you can forget about your meat at that point in time (on that note, nice cook!)

Burping is the way to go - when you open the lid, you introduce oxygen, thereby bring the fumes from too rich to within the flammable range (back in my firefighting days, we’d refer to this as between the UEL and the LEL - upper and lower explosive limits). 

You just have to be sure to “thin” out the mixture enough before opening the lid all of the way. How open was the lid when you were “burping” it for 5 sec?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    For all the excitement you definitely nailed the cook.  Congrats.
    Here's what works for me when I have a full body of lump engaged in flame (paella cook) with some left-overs (fire generators) on the grid; shut the dome, shut the lower vent, install the ceramic cap and give it a couple of minutes.  Then remove the ceramic cap, and install the DFMT with the total opening around 1/2 or a bit more (vent the BGE).  Give this around a minute or so then open the lower vent (you should hear the flash-back "whoosh").  After that open the dome (fire retardant gloves or tongs for the extended arm) and you are good to go.
    Given I cook paella around every 4-5 weeks and I believe in fire cleaning the grid, this is a frequent event for me.  FWIW-
    You have been alerted so just pay attention as you obviously did.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Good way to not have to pluck nose hairs.....But them burnt nose hairs sure do smell!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

So you're saying you were almost toast....

Whoops, this isn't the crappy joke thread.  Cow looks perfect @TheToast
    Phoenix 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 Was open maybe 3 inches at front when I burped it. I ended up holding it wide enough to get long tongs in to rescue the meat - luckily I have BBQ gloves that go well past my wrists but I lost the hair on my right hand and some arm, because I was only wearing one glove at first. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    The best art comes from a place of anguish.  I suggest you print and frame the first picture.  Strong cook my friend.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks sooooo goooood!  Did you record your singed hair for posterity?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When it happened to me I was told it was babtism by fire 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just burp and open real slow. I'd probably clean my egg out completely before next cook too. 
    That picana looks great. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA