Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL High Temp

Options
Does anyone else have an issue with the XL running hotter. I am used to my large settling in around 230 and staying there forever. I can seem to get the XL down below 250. I put a pork butt on at 8pm and I just woke up and happened to check my phone and saw it was done and the egg was at 315. I wish I would have taken a pic of the egg, the top and bottom were both only open about 1/4". Just curious if this is common or if I just need to learn my new egg. The butt is ok for those of you wondering. It is in FTC right now. Dinner isn't until 5 so I will have to figure out what I am doing with it till then. 

Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    You could have a leak somewhere. My bands need adjusting every so often on my large. I know they need to be adjusted when I see smoke leaking out of the sides or the band is noticeably drooping. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    You could have a leak somewhere. My bands need adjusting every so often on my large. I know they need to be adjusted when I see smoke leaking out of the sides or the band is noticeably drooping. 
    It is brand new, only my second cook on it  there are no leaks anywhere.  
    Pure Michigan
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Does anyone else have an issue with the XL running hotter. I am used to my large settling in around 230 and staying there forever. I can seem to get the XL down below 250. I put a pork butt on at 8pm and I just woke up and happened to check my phone and saw it was done and the egg was at 315. I wish I would have taken a pic of the egg, the top and bottom were both only open about 1/4". Just curious if this is common or if I just need to learn my new egg. The butt is ok for those of you wondering. It is in FTC right now. Dinner isn't until 5 so I will have to figure out what I am doing with it till then. 

1/4" open top and bottom would put my large between 325 and 350...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    My XL will run down at 225F if I want it to.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    When I do a low & slow on my xl I am typically shooting for 250 - 275, and the bottom vent is usually only open about the thickness of a credit card.  The daisy wheel will be closed with the petals cracked a just a hair as well to keep it steady at that temp.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yep, what they said.  Credit card width on the bottom for sub 250. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    and new doesn’t necessarily mean no leaks.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will just have to adjust. I'm so used to my large I guess I figured it would be about the same. 
    Pure Michigan
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    Do you have the kick ash basket and/or smokeware cap? Those would cause your airflow to deviate from the stock hardware.
  • eightyfive
    eightyfive Posts: 125
    Options
    Same issue here. MY XL runs hotter than my L did. I find less lump and less air is needed in my XL. Dont know why but my XL has more of a tendency to "run away" temp wise than my L.
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My xl’s happy place is 275-300 and it works really well

Harry Soo from BBQ pitmaster said in a youtube video that the trend for competition teams is hot and fast 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Maybe its the heat wave up your way.  Outside temps impact the amount of heat loss.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    My XL runs at 225 with about 1/8" on bottom and a sliver on the wheel. If I open my wheel for full vent it will go to 325-350. I just refurbished a large BGE and it seems to cook a little hotter than my XL and burns more lump. Trying to get used to cooking on the large when it is just me and my wife. The woo and extender really helps.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    My XL won't hold below 275, but it will hold 275 on the money all day.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    @shadowcaster I just did a cook on my xl today at 350 degrees.  You can see the vent settings.  To get 250ish both top and bottom would be closed half again as much.  

XL  Central Ohio
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I do have a smokeware top on my xl, first time ever having one. Looks like I just need to play around a little more in order to get it right. I guess that means I need to smoke some more meat, bummer :-)
    Pure Michigan