Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Egging a Goose

Options
Hi Folks - I spun up a goose for the first time on my Joetisserie attachment on the BGE and wanted to share the experience and some photos ! 

To set up the cook, I placed a loaf pan at the bottom of my firebox on top of the small grate, and built two sloped banks of charcoal either side. Don't be concerned if this seems like a small amount of charcoal overall - it is, but will be enough for the cook (and even if things start to die down a little, it's easy to add a couple fresh lumps midway through). 

To prep the goose, I removed any excess fat from the cavity, pricked the bird all over (to allow fat to render easily - make sure just to break the skin, don't pierce all the way through to the meat). Just salt and pepper all over, with some more salt in the cavity.

Each side will need to be lit separately given the loaf pan sits in the middle, and when hot I added a few chunks of plum and peach wood. Goose (and duck for that matter) take on smoke pretty easily, so I like the delicate taste of light fruit wood. I set up the goose on the Joetisserie spindle, tied the legs together and tied the wings to the breast in a couple spots with twine wrapped around the whole body.

I slow cooked at 225-250 for just under 2 hours, then cranked the heat for the last 45 minutes to finish and crisp. During this last stage, I brushed the bird every 5-7 minutes with a mixture of warm honey mixed with Chinese five spice powder.

Finished pics below !

Comments