Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got approved, and I have a table question...

Hello everyone,
     Been lurking a while, just got approved today. I've got an XL Egg and I've vowed I'm going to use it a lot more. So far I've done bacon, ribs, and a pork butt, as well as steaks, burgers etc..
     I've had the egg two years or more. Last winter the gasket came off. So I went to a local dealer and got I new gasket, and saw the tables. Now, I'm sure the dealer I got mine from sold tables (he has since gone KJ) but I couldn't have looked at them then and remained married.
    Open table designs would still require me to schlep things in and out. Nothing as tasty as a grill brush can be left were the younger dog can reach. Any of the cabinets you see online are a fortune to get to CT. And I don't have the tools or the skill to make my own.
    I found a local guy who for a little more than a cypress table shipped from GA or MS will make one custom out of IPE. Seems like a no brainer to me. 

To my question, what is the distance from the top top the table to the top of the shelf the egg sits on? Big Green egg, in their plans, calls this dimension "A" and it's 12.5.  But their own acacia table for the XL measures 13.625.   I will use a nest with fire brick or tile below the nest.

Comments? Thoughts? Answers?

Paul

Comments

• When I built my table I was not concerned with the height of other tables. The first thing I figured out was the height I wanted for the top of the table, and then where I wanted the gasket level. From there I figured out the height of the bottom shelf. Don't forget to figure in the nest and fire bricks. Also, when the egg opens the hinge drops a bit, so leave space for that.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    You can put a notch behind egg for hinge anc tahg lets egg sit lower in table. Large about 17". Platform or nest will bring it up some
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    When I built my table I was not concerned with the height of other tables. The first thing I figured out was the height I wanted for the top of the table, and then where I wanted the gasket level. From there I figured out the height of the bottom shelf. Don't forget to figure in the nest and fire bricks. Also, when the egg opens the hinge drops a bit, so leave space for that.
    That’s a lot of siphering!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Welcome Dawg!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • When I built my table I was not concerned with the height of other tables. The first thing I figured out was the height I wanted for the top of the table, and then where I wanted the gasket level. From there I figured out the height of the bottom shelf. Don't forget to figure in the nest and fire bricks. Also, when the egg opens the hinge drops a bit, so leave space for that.
    That’s a lot of siphering!
    It was no big deal. I was a classmate of Jethro Bodine, he tutored me.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Siphering is spelled with a c, everyone knows that
  • Tspud1 said:
    Siphering is spelled with a c, everyone knows that
    I doubt the double naught spy knows that.
  • Dawgnut said:
    To my question, what is the distance from the top top the table to the top of the shelf the egg sits on? Big Green egg, in their plans, calls this dimension "A" and it's 12.5.  But their own acacia table for the XL measures 13.625.   I will use a nest with fire brick or tile below the nest.

I just built my own table last month and used their plans to base my own off.  I have my XL Egg sitting on a table nest and used that A dimension of 12.5.  My lid hinge opens no problem with about 1/4" to spare.  I can grab you some pictures when I stop at home over lunch today or this evening if I can't get them then.