Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Philly Cheesesteaks

Heading to Philly this weekend for a family reunion.

Saturday night, the Texan branch of the family wants to go out for Cheesesteaks. I know Pat's and Geno's are across the street from each other.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks youse guys!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @DMW we’re counting on you here..
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Order wiz wit 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    John's or Dalessandro's.
    Pat's and Geno's may get all the publicity, but they aren't the best.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Have fun at the reunion.  I've only spent a few days there, but those sammies... I can come pretty close on the BS, but it's not quite the same.

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Philly Connection  :s
  • osubill
    osubill Posts: 2
    Shank's is my favorite on Delaware Ave by the Coast Gurad station, only problem is they close at 8pm.  T Luke's on Oregon Ave or Jim's Steaks on South St are good alternatives.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Order wiz wit 
    I spent the first 13 years of my life there so I know what that means!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Get both
    Gittin' there...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Jeremiah said:
    @DMW we’re counting on you here..
    I know I'm a terrible greater-Philadelphian, but I'm not an authority on this topic. I don't think I've ever been to Pat's or Gino's. The Tony Lukes at Citizen Bank Park is pretty decent when drinking beer and watching a ball game. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    John's or Dalessandro's.
    Pat's and Geno's may get all the publicity, but they aren't the best.
    While that’s likely the case, but I think it would be cool to have family members go to both places and share to determine which one is better. 
  • dmchicago
    Our plan, as of now, is to do a comparison between Pat's and Gino's then go someplace and get drunk.

But we're Irish, so...

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    dmchicago said:
    Our plan, as of now, is to do a comparison between Pat's and Gino's then go someplace and get drunk.

But we're Irish, so...
    I recommend wearing a Cowboys jersey. 
  • DMW
    dmchicago said:

But we're Irish, so...
    See, now I know you did actually spend your first 13 years here. This is a solid plan. I'm tempted to come find you, but we have plans Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago said:

But we're Irish, so...
    not in 100 million years

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DMW
    dmchicago said:

But we're Irish, so...
    Yeah... don't do that...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• dmchicago
    dmchicago said:

But we're Irish, so...
    not in 100 million years

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Tony Lukes or Jim's would get my vote. But Pat's/Gino's is mighty fine, too!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    +1 for Dalessandro’s.  You also MUST go to Reading Terminal Market and get an Italian Roast Pork w broccoli rabe from Dinic’s.   The best sandwich in America.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lived here my entire life.... PLEASE DONT GO TO PAT OR GENOS, THEY ARE TOURIST TRAPS. $21 for a cheesesteak and small fry. 

Delasandro's (Roxborough), John's Roasted Pork (S Philly) or Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market.
    Tony Lukes and Jim's on South Street are pretty decent as well.  
    Doylestown - Pennsylvania
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Philly Connection  :s
    I blew my morning tea thru my noise on that one!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • We did the Pat's and Gino's Taste test last year. That was fun. Pats's won our family over 3-0.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    I have been out that way many times. Never had Pats or Gino’s until recently. This past trip was for a bachelor party. I had one for lunch on Friday  at a local place just inside the city limits that my friends really like. I thought it was ok. Same as I’ve always had. Saturday night we were down at Xfinity live and I had a Gino’s there. Might have been the drinking but I enjoyed that one way more than any other cheesesteak I’ve had in all my trips to Philly. 
    I vote for a face off between the 2 big boys and go from there. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    21 bucks for a steak and cheese and they put cheese whiz onit =) no friggin way

166jpg

168jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    john kerry lost the election because he chose swiss over cheese wiz. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    if a cheesesteak is requested the first place I'd take out of towners would be Jims for a true representation of the finest, simple, not overstuffed, well proportioned cheesesteak on a good roll.  If they ask to take them out for the best sandwich in general however I'd take them to Dinics for roasted pork with sharp provolone & broccoli rabe or maybe down to Lukes for a chicken cutlet with the same toppings.  There are others mentioned above (& still many others dotted all over the city, the outlying suburbs & even into South Jersey & Delaware) that are in the same league as the big name places, these sandwiches are not rocket science, the guys that get it right are the ones that figured out how to keep it simple & traditional & use the proper ingredients.  It is not at all difficult to make one at home here that is indistinguishable from the big boys simply because we all have access to the same ingredients...

Regarding Pats & Genos, they're certainly good but they've never been anywhere near my top 10 list of favorites but I've still eaten more of them than I care to admit because they're so quintessentially Philly in so many other respects - it's more of an event going there as opposed to trying to eat the best of the best, the lines, the lights, the people, I'd say together they get an A++++ for showmanship & that's fun
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Pats & Genos are famous and on everybody's tourist list.  Best reason for visiting them is to go one block north of them to RIM Cafe to get your chocolate fix after.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited June 2018
    These things tend to be tribal and cultish.  What I've found is that among the best places, it's all about turnover and freshness.  I've had outstanding steaks at Jim's pretty consistently.  Gino's and Pat's, too, but I've also had my share of fair to middling ones as well.  Going during the busiest times tends to ensure you'll get the freshest food, even if there's a bit of a wait -- and that's part of the "charm".  Or go late at night when you're banged up and hungry . . . circumstances are such that it might not matter so much.  

That said, I'd recommend:

Best sandwich in town (IMHO):  Tony Luke's roast pork italian (rabe and sharp prov):  https://www.tonylukes.com/  Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market prob is a better option for location and other stuff to do, but I like TL's sandwich better.  Don't leave Philly w/o a roast pork italian from either of these places.  Seriously.   

Best Cheeses Steak(s): 
    Jim's Steaks:  http://www.jimssteaks.com/
    Dalessandros  https://dalessandros.com/

And Claymont Steaks in [Claymont, Delaware -- 15 mins south of the airport] is my go-to . . . worth the trip and you can knock the great 302 off your bucket list:  http://claymontsteakshop.com/

As for Pat's and Gino's, the only reason to go is to have one of each while you're there.  Memorable to down 2 and forever opine as to which you liked better . . . while also being able to say Jim's or Dalessandro's is the best.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Tony Lukes down by the Phillies stadium.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    If you are ever in South Carolina, stop by.
    Man i love a great cheese-steak.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmchicago
    Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. Best Philly cheesesteak is like asking for the best BBQ in Austin!

We will have very limited time and my bros and sis's are more interested in the tourist aspect of a Pat's vs. Geno's throw down than trying to find the "best" available.

It'll be fun, I'm sure. 

Dennis - Austin,TX