Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE handle cap nut

Options
I am doing some cleanup of my large BGE with the old style 4.25 inch handle.  Anyone know the size of the cap nut that attaches the handle to the band?  Mine are rusted.  Thanks. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    They are 7/16 wrench. Isn’t there some standard formula for the ID? 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Any dealer will have dozens of them on hand. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I’m pretty sure it’s 1/4-20. Any hardware/big box store will have them. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No, but if you take a nut with you, you can find a match. Actually, yours don't look bad. You might have some luck with Barkeeper's Friend or maybe some auto wax.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Memphis, TN 

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m pretty sure it’s 1/4-20. Any hardware/big box store will have them. 
    I’m 100% sure it’s 1/4-20. I just checked. I’d buy stainless. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-1-4-20-Stainless-Steel-Acorn-Nut-6-Pack-2996/204794887
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    How many you need??  I'll send you some.  Do you need the cinch bolts?
  • mEGG_My_Day
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks again @DoubleEgger.

@stlcharcoal - that is very kind of you.  I need 4. Two for my small and two for my large.  I wouldn’t want you to eat the shipping but If fedex is convenient for you, I will print a prepaid label at work tomorrow and email it to you via your website.

And I would love cinch bolts also - those are rusted too.

Thanks a million!!
    Memphis, TN 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Thanks again @DoubleEgger.

@stlcharcoal - that is very kind of you.  I need 4. Two for my small and two for my large.  I wouldn’t want you to eat the shipping but If fedex is convenient for you, I will print a prepaid label at work tomorrow and email it to you via your website.

And I would love cinch bolts also - those are rusted too.

Thanks a million!!
    Do you need more for the mates or the hinge?

On the cinch bolts, do you have enough thread on the current ones with that light?  I have all three lengths.

Don't worry about the postage....first class mail.  No big deal.  Texasbge2018 said he bought a bag of charcoal so we're good.  Just email me you address and I'll throw them in the mail tomorrow.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    And it’s reasons like this that on my way home today I went and picked up another bag of Rockwood.
    And it’s reasons like this that I will stop talking junk about Deloreons. 

....yeah, probably not.... :rofl:
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I got zip ties holding my handles on LOL 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I got zip ties holding my handles on LOL 
    I bought a new handle (hinge kit for my small), took it to work, cleared it, and my dumbass wash guy threw it away. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    And it’s reasons like this that on my way home today I went and picked up another bag of Rockwood.
    And it’s reasons like this that I will stop talking junk about Deloreans

If those bolts and nuts were stainless steel they would have lasted forever......much like a great car that resides in the RW warehouse.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

If those bolts and nuts were stainless steel they would have lasted forever......much like a great car that resides in the RW warehouse.

You gotta time that thing 0-60 with a calendar  ;)
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I’ll email you tomorrow.  In the meantime I thought it appropriate to post this pic I just took of a nook in my shed..there is more elsewhere too. 

Memphis, TN 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

I'll race for pinks in my Taco.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stlcharcoal
    Options

Dude, I have one of the 3 speed automatics.......it definitely takes a while.  But the dmc12 was never built to be a sports / fast car, it was a touring / roadster.  Problem was that at $24000, it was in the Corvette, Porsche, etc price range and for that money people wanted it to be fast.  Very comfy car, I've driven it 600+ miles in a day without any pain.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Replaced all of my acorn nuts at Grainger with SS.  The stock ones are terrible for the price you pay for an egg, as they rust in a couple of seasons.  Looks like kaka.

Strictly cosmetic, but a low cost facelift.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
    Options

Dude, I have one of the 3 speed automatics.......it definitely takes a while.  But the dmc12 was never built to be a sports / fast car, it was a touring / roadster.  Problem was that at $24000, it was in the Corvette, Porsche, etc price range and for that money people wanted it to be fast.  Very comfy car, I've driven it 600+ miles in a day without any pain.
    Oooh the automatic... North of 10 seconds 0-60. The 80s were lean when it came to performance. An 80s icon none the less. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Oooh the automatic... North of 10 seconds 0-60. The 80s were lean when it came to performance. An 80s icon none the less. 
    I have a few buddies that added turbos, swapped it out with the bigger Chrysler version of the PRV, and have seen the Legend twin turbo, Cadillac NorthStar conversion, and even one with second engine up front.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    North Star? Someone is a glutton for punishment. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options

I have a few buddies that added turbos, swapped it out with the bigger Chrysler version of the PRV, and have seen the Legend twin turbo, Cadillac NorthStar conversion, and even one with second engine up front.
    You definetly need a motor swap, being rear engine rear drive doesn’t necessarily limit you these days though. I’ve read several articles but couldn’t find the one of the Ferrari swap, here’s one of several that did the LS swap from a front engine/ front wheel drive GM product. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/build-ls-swapped-dmc-delorean-regular-car-reviews/amp/
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

the ID is 3/16 less than the head size for SAE bolts, (i.e 7/16 head is 1/4 thread) I don't know what metric is we only use standard in the aviation world.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

the ID is 3/16 less than the head size for SAE bolts, (i.e 7/16 head is 1/4 thread) I don't know what metric is we only use standard in the aviation world.
    Yeah, standardize on standard, but then have a dozen different drive styles......torq-set, hi-torq, pozi-drive, etc.  Made the Snap-on man very rich!!  A&P/IA for 15+ yrs.  Mainly worked on helicopters, but also did some moonlighting on challenger 600s.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

Yeah, standardize on standard, but then have a dozen different drive styles......torq-set, hi-torq, pozi-drive, etc.  Made the Snap-on man very rich!!  A&P/IA for 15+ yrs.  Mainly worked on helicopters, but also did some moonlighting on challenger 600s.
    man I like your stuff even more now.  I have been and A&P for about 8 years now, but work more on the design side for MRB issues with helicopters. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

man I like your stuff even more now.  I have been and A&P for about 8 years now, but work more on the design side for MRB issues with helicopters. 
    I assume the Sikorsky plant in Troy?

I worked on the little stuff.....Robinsons, Schweitzer, & Bell.  But when I got out of college I had enough flight time to fly for a living and the pay was 4x what I was making as a mechanic.  So, I took a EMS 135 flying job, but still kept active on the MX side as much as they would let me.  They had me on the 135 as a mechanic as well, until the FAA clamped down on recurrent training and such--then they didn't want to have to pay me to go through that recurrent as well (one overtime day.)  I was one of the few IA's they had, so I said fine, I'm not signing off 337's for free and that was the last time I wrenched on a helicopter.  I got paid the whether or not I helped, so I went back to my room and started a charcoal company in all my new found free time.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited June 2018
    Options

What do you have against the 4.6 NorthStar??  We had two Allante's and two Eldorado's with that engine.  The '93 Allante was the first front wheel drive car to pace the Indy 500 without any performance mods (only fire suppression and a roll bar mods.)  They actually had to limit it a little in the Allante, but a SuperChip unlocked that and made it run like a raped ape.  I still have the '92, but that had the 4.5 liter.  (Standing by for a bunch of folks to start ripping on the Allante……and I'm ready to fight!!  Love that car just as much as the DeLorean.)

Fixing an oil leak or a starter was a 10 hr job because you had to drop the axle, transmission, and split the case, but otherwise that engine was pretty damn reliable......could run without coolant as long as you kept above 60mph.  That engine was originally designed by Mercury Marine and there were a few boat using it in the late 90's.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

What do you have against the 4.6 NorthStar??  We had two Allante's and two Eldorado's with that engine.  The '93 Allante was the first front wheel drive car to pace the Indy 500 without any performance mods (only fire suppression and a roll bar mods.)  They actually had to limit it a little in the Allante, but a SuperChip unlocked that and made it run like a raped ape.  I still have the '92, but that had the 4.5 liter.  (Standing by for a bunch of folks to start ripping on the Allante……and I'm ready to fight!!  Love that car just as much as the DeLorean.)

Fixing an oil leak or a starter was a 10 hr job because you had to drop the axle, transmission, and split the case, but otherwise that engine was pretty damn reliable......could run without coolant as long as you kept above 60mph.  That engine was originally designed by Mercury Marine and there were a few boat using it in the late 90's.
    Don’t forget to add head gaskets to the Northstar’s list of problems . 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

Excellent. I was pretty sure there was a standard formula or something, but couldn’t remember. Thanks.