Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Reheating Steak

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
edited June 2018 in Beef
How do you guys reheat steak with SV?

I don't like to change the doneness, I just like to warm it up.

I reheated a 2" Tomahawk today that was cooked on Sunday to MR.  I SV'd it at 132 for about an hour (It went straight in fridge after searing and cooling a bit).

Steak was awesome, but I am now concerned about it not being "safe".  Any issues just warming it up?  This is what I have done for about a year now, but want to make sure I'm not risking anybody.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2018
    Options

Have you tried reheating it in the instapot?   too soon?

(I actually do it the same as you)

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited June 2018
    Options
    blasting said:

Have you tried reheating it in the instapot?   too soon?

(I actually do it the same as you)

Lol! Not yet.  Based on tonight's experience, I haven't even mastered potatoes yet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I cut mine in a cross section manner to 1/2” thick and then regrill them. Since I cook 1-1/2” -2” steaks, I get 3-4 new steaks! Mmmm
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Truthfully, who has leftover steak? I guess the kids maybe? LOL!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

In regards to food safety, this is a reliable reference.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

While its not targeting reheating specifically, an understanding of how time/temp impact pasteurization may help answer your questions.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
      This is what I have done for about a year now, but want to make sure I'm not risking anybody.
    Technically, you made yourself a medical study already over the last year.lol
    And you are still here.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Honestly, I don't recall ever reheating a steak. Cook steak. Eat steak. The end.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I rarely eat leftovers in their original form. A piece of steak or chicken is more likely to get chopped up and seared hard on a griddle for tacos or fried rice. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options