Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE/Dumb question

Options

I just got an XL and come from webers and pellet grills. I love it so far. The question I have is I got the cover for it and there is a small Velcro flap on the back. Not sure what the purpose of it is? On the website it says: Velcro tab closure for added protection. Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks!

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome aboard @sprint410.  Congrats on the XL.

I've never had a cover so can't help you, but someone will be along to answer.

Get that thing dirty and post some pics.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the velcro is to hang it in the garage or shed and never use it again =) never had one, does it cinch it up tighter?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sprint410
    sprint410 Posts: 4
    Options

I thought maybe it was to cinch it down, but the Velcro is on the inside. No big deal, I was just standing there looking at it like what is this for.

I have already experienced the wait times for it to cool down and I think your right on ditching the cover.

Thanks!

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    sprint410 said:

I just got an XL and come from webers and pellet grills. I love it so far. The question I have is I got the cover for it and there is a small Velcro flap on the back. Not sure what the purpose of it is? On the website it says: Velcro tab closure for added protection. Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks!

I have a Weber Cover on mine- disguising it...

It has the velcro strap to tighten it under the egg.  I use it as much as I can if nothing else to keep the bird Cr@p and Pollen off the egg.  Always like to start a cook in the summer w/ the egg already at ~150 from being under a black cover.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Regarding your question-no clue.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I cover mine.  Protects the hinges and springs and such from the elements.  I buy gas grill covers from Costco (really like them, durable).  I put two XLs under one cover, but you could cozy up your kettle or another grill next to the XL to do the same.  I think the BGE covers are too expensive.  I pulled a live cam pic from the backyard to illustrate:

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Sprint,

you really are a newbie if you think that’s a dumb question. 

Stick around...you’ll see. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I have a cover, have used it a couple times, last time was for Hurricane Irma, I keep the XLBGE in a covered portico so there is really no reason to cover it. No idea about how the strap is used.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Welcome to the Cult! Covers are for the Bed!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I don't use a cover. Be careful when you remove the cover, if the DFMT or ceramic cap is loose it could get dragged off and shatter!
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    maybe your cover is on inside out?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    If you have a question ask it here.   The BGE company guys are not as good as this forum and for other ides ask TOM at CGS
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I keep mine covered and clean. Welcome aboard. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’ll be fine with or without a cover. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I used to cover, but got old and lazy and haven't covered in several years.
  • diz
    diz Posts: 11
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I don't use a cover. Be careful when you remove the cover, if the DFMT or ceramic cap is loose it could get dragged off and shatter!
    I've done this, it's why I stopped using my cover.   Good news is regular old 'waterproof' wood glue from HD is still holding the ceramic cap together after 2 years uncovered.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TylerLane
    TylerLane Posts: 15
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have used it to Velcro the cover around a leg so it won’t blow off.  (Yes, I have had the cover blow off before.)  Not sure if that is what it’s designed for, but it works to keep the cover on in a storm.