Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Gateway

Options
When my Maverick crapped out a few months ago I decided to buy a Smoke from Thermoworks.  At the time I thought that was all I would need and didn't get the Gateway.  However, I have found that the receiver loses connection with the base unit at the places I most commonly sit when egging.  I end up almost going to the kitchen (the egg is outside the kitchen on the patio) before the base and receiver sync again.  The lost connection is a function of distance (my office is probably 50' from the egg) and too many intervening walls.

I am considering the Gateway as a workaround: use my local network and my phone to monitor temps.  And I most often use the Smoke in lieu of the dome thermo so I don't have to get my lazy azz out of the chair to go look at temps.  But because where I like to sit and read I usually lose connection so have to get up anyway.

What has been the forum's experience with the Gateway - easy to set up, reliably connects to the home network, phone (Android) app easy to use?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    My experience was it setup easy and it connects reliably after powering it on.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Check out the reviews for the Android app on the Play Store.  Sort by most recent.  
    New Orleans LA
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Wow!  Thanks, @Dondgc for the suggestion.  Definitely won't be putting out $89 for something that has a less than 50% chance of doing what I want it to do.  Guess I'll just have to haul my lazy azz out of the chair and get the receiver closer to the base unit.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Mine works fine, not had any problems.
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    The reviews are pretty disappointing on this. I bought the smoke a while back with the thought of upgrading and using Wi-Fi tech when it came out. I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble or risk after reading through reviews. I’m surprised they have seemingly botched this so much. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This unit is priced as much as most WiFi controllers but I really like it and it's built like a tank. Simple to set up and use. So far no issues getting or keeping connections. Also uses commercial quality probes from any company.
    ThermaQ WiFi
    https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaQ-WiFi-Kit
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    We're a Thermoworks dealer.....love all their stuff, but didn't bring in the Smoke's Gateway.  That's almost $200 for the combo with one temp probe and one meat probe.  For another $100 or so, you can get a FB300 that will control the temp with the flexibility of expanding to THREE meat probes.  Go big or go home.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Mine has worked flawlessly! IPhone
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    We're a Thermoworks dealer.....love all their stuff, but didn't bring in the Smoke's Gateway.  That's almost $200 for the combo with one temp probe and one meat probe.  For another $100 or so, you can get a FB300 that will control the temp with the flexibility of expanding to THREE meat probes.  Go big or go home.
    Yeah, I’ll probably hold off. I was deciding between the FB, but got cheap. The basic version works fine (aside from a current issue), but I think I’ll hold off on the Wi-Fi and hope the price comes down a bit.