Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best cheese on a burger?

Options
13»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think the cheese you have in your frig is what mine tends to be.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    Tried Colby-Pepper Jack recently and liked it.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    RRP said:

... During the last 2 minutes I add a stack of cheeses consisting of 1 slice each of American, Swiss and hot pepper jack.... Hail to the Gebby Burger!!!

@RRP I tried that a long time ago, because you made it sound so inviting, and I have to agree, the mix of the cheeses really was delicious.  It wound up just being too much cheese for me, though.  I've wondered about maybe using the same cheeses grated and mixed together, and seeing if I could adjust the quantity that way.  I really did think the flavor was fantastic, though!
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options

And look for one with lots of pepper, Jack.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I prefer Blue Cheese, or smoked Gouda, a sliced dill and horseradish mustard
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Theophan said:
    RRP said:

... During the last 2 minutes I add a stack of cheeses consisting of 1 slice each of American, Swiss and hot pepper jack.... Hail to the Gebby Burger!!!

@RRP I tried that a long time ago, because you made it sound so inviting, and I have to agree, the mix of the cheeses really was delicious.  It wound up just being too much cheese for me, though.  I've wondered about maybe using the same cheeses grated and mixed together, and seeing if I could adjust the quantity that way.  I really did think the flavor was fantastic, though!
    I use Boars' Head slices and they are thinner so there isn't as much bulk. Glad you liked the mix!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the cheese goes under the burger, not on top. you are all doing it wrong =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

So it melts into the bun?  :o
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:

So it melts into the bun?  :o
    it cements the burger to the bottom bun and keeps the bottom bun from getting fall apart soggy. it also makes burger assembly easier for a crowd, toast the buns, cover bottoms with room temp cheese, place hot burger on top of cheese, it will melt but not get gooey drippy. 
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use mayo on the bottom bun to prevent soggybunitis. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I use mayo on the bottom bun to prevent soggybunitis. 
    maybe on a plant based burger =) mayo on the bottom, mayo on the top, a bowl of mayo dip =)
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
    The closest I'll get to a plant based burger is grass-fed beef. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Best cheese ON a burger goes IN a burger!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Seems like a gimmick, IMO. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    shrimp goes in the burger

this is a juicy lucy called shrimp diane

fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Depends on the type of burgers/condiments we decide to have:

-Regular ones with lettuce/tomato = white american
    -Spicy with jalapeños, onion straws, etc = pepper jack
    -Mushrooms = swiss
    -Blackened or with buffalo sauce = blue cheese
    -No toppings = pimento cheese
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like a smashburger topped with caramelized onions and cheese. After the flip on the griddle, I add the onions first, then top with a slice of cheese. By the time the cheese melts a little, the burger's done. Keeps the onions in place.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    muenster
    Pratt, KS
  • RRP
    Options
    This is for somebody who likes cheese on his burger!

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Tonight it shall be Land-O-Lakes yellow American.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:

That thing is limp!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    Kraft Deli Deluxe American.
    This is one application where cheap cheese just works, always has.  Mac n cheese is another American or Velveeta combo for the KO.  Clump free for me!

And that’s gross. 
    Try it, on top of your ground SRF brisket burger on cheap bun, and report back. 
    We don’t eat that “cheese” anymore. I ate lots of kraft and velveeta in high school there’s just lots of better options. If I’m feeding a crowd I usually get the publix deli to slice up the land o lakes white American but there’s too many good cheese option s in my opinion to eat kraft or velveeta anymore. Not saying it tastes bad just not something I prefer to eat anymore. I won’t let my kids eat them. 
    Why not let your kids decide?
    I’m another person who doesn’t have “pasteurized cheese product” in the house.  My daughter can decide when she’s grocery shopping, when it is my money I’m buying what I want.

As far as the actual question, I’ll use Land O Lakes deli sliced american or gruyere mostly, depending on what else is going on the burger.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    80/20 pattie, fried onions, crispy round of pancetta, toasted onion bun - topped with deli sliced L-O-L yellow American.

Perfection...

Yummmmmm

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Gotta agree with @Focker too... good ol Kraft Singles is where it’s at IMO. :wink: And also Palmetto Cheese (brand of Pimento Cheese out of Pawley’s Island, SC).  Palmetto Cheese is addictive as crack. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    RRP said:

That thing is limp!
    Gosh Lit, you crack me up! BTW in 2 weeks I turn 74. My point  is I may be dead before you get wiped out with prostate cancer like I about was. Since you think making fun of me and the thousands of other prostate cancer survivors and the millions who do not survive then laugh it up. But your time will come! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    fishlessman said:
    it cements the burger to the bottom bun and keeps the bottom bun from getting fall apart soggy. it also makes burger assembly easier for a crowd, toast the buns, cover bottoms with room temp cheese, place hot burger on top of cheese, it will melt but not get gooey drippy.  
    I did some experiments with burger assembly this last batch.  Tonight's was the best: toast both bun halves up front, before the burger is cooked.  Lay the Tillamook Mild Cheddar slice on the bottom bun, it begins to melt and seals off the bread from any sogginess, as you stated.  Top half gets a smear of butter (doesn't seal anything but melts in for flavor), and then a smear of mayo.  
    Burger, once cooked, gets set on the bottom bun/cheese which finishes melting it.  Copious salt on the top (yeah, this is the way I'm salting burgers from now on).  Chopped, roasted Hatch green chile onto the burger, then add the top bun.  The mayo thins with the heat but perfectly "sauces" the burger/chile, yet the top bun doesn't get soggy, either.  
    No, mayo is NOT traditional on a green chile cheeseburger, but its my opinion that that is better and should be your opinion, too.  :tongue:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    @Legume That’s a cold salad of leftover corn on the cob (no longer on the cob), wheel
    pasta, kidney beans, with a can of del monte diced tomato with jalapeño and habanero - toss all with salt & pepper, EVOO and red wine vinegar.  Pretty good - and quick!  No fresh tomatoes here yet.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE