Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My menu for this weekends backyard olympics, whats your $.02?

Options
We do this once a year where we get all the lawn games one can think of; can jam, corn hole, bocce ball, lawn darts, horse shoes, tether ball, ladder ball, and spike ball and we set them up as on obstacle corse where we break up all the quest into 2-4 teams depending on the number of people that show. Each team supports one another all the while trash talking the opposing team during all the events and the team to win most of the events wins (nothing just the right to trash talk the rest of us). 
 I would like a menu that doesnt require me paying attention (well being sober). Im thinking of doing a brisket that I can have done before the festivities start and just FTC till ready to eat, and some corn on the cob and some yams that I can through on the egg as the guest start to arrive and set a timer and be done.
Here is the questions I have. 
1. Some people dont like brisket (I know it hurts to even type this but its true), and I believe im going to have a few of those how do you say vegetarians (not that there is anything wrong with that) in the mix. What else should I add to this menu that can satisfy all and be a good fit with the brisket as a possible side dish or second main corse.
2. what is a easy to prep day before cook that you would suggest to show off to your friends that proves your a great cook and nothing beats the egg.
3. A good appetizer that can be served to that is not to heavy as to not ruin the appetite for dinner and can be eaten quickly in-between games.

P.S. knowing me im probably going to through a few racks of ribs and wings on as well because I love ribs, and they'll be a good app to munch on if refueling is requires during the olympics. 
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Texas Caviar is a great meatless app/side.  Can be served as a side or with chips as a dip.

Classic version is mostly black eyed peas.  I hate black eyed peas, but I always include one can. Add what you want, but this is usually what I go with:

Two cans of black beans, rinsed
    Two cans of sweet corn, rinsed
    One can of Black eyed peas, rinsed
    Once can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
    One jar of roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced
    1/2 red onion, diced small
    2-3 cloves of garlic diced small
    1 large shallot diced small
    add all this to a large serving bowl and mix well.

Dressing:
    1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 - 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    SnP to taste
    1/2 tsp of sugar

Let it sit in the fridge over night.  The next day cut up cilantro to taste.  I'll usually do 1/2 bunch along with 2-3 scallions.  Mix that in and serve.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    thetrim sounds like a plan thank you Ill add some texas caviar to the mix

Long Island NY    
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Not trying to hijack but This sounds like an event one of my neighbors sets up every year. Yours sounds way more civilized.
    They call it the jackass olympics. Basically 10 events ranging from a 2 man team car push, lawn dart catch (more points for distance), bowling ball catch, dumbbell run (2-50# weights) have to run a laid out fig 8 times recorded, tricycle race etc....  all while drinking. Then Points are added up and a Texas Holdem tourney is played. It’s an absolute mess.  I’ve seen torn ACL, shoulders, etc. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    steel_egg sounds amazing waiting for my invite

Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great entertainment right there.  I would shelve the brisket and go with pulled pork.  Much easier (less attention required) cook.  For the vegans - I am SOL ($hit Outta Luck).  Load up on some cole slaw to compliment the pork  (placate the vegans).  Good call with the corn on the cob.  How about some potato salad for the vegans.  
    Appetizer - Go with ABT's (You can even skip the bacon for the vegans) and adjust the filling for the crowd.  
    Dessert- more adult supervisory beverages.  Above all, don't over-think it and have fun.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great entertainment right there.  I would shelve the brisket and go with pulled pork.  Much easier (less attention required) cook.  For the vegans - I am SOL ($hit Outta Luck).  Load up on some cole slaw to compliment the pork  (placate the vegans).  Good call with the corn on the cob.  How about some potato salad for the vegans.  
    Appetizer - Go with ABT's (You can even skip the bacon for the vegans) and adjust the filling for the crowd.  
    Dessert- more adult supervisory beverages.  Above all, don't over-think it and have fun.  FWIW-
     Now I have to search the forum  when I get home to see what ABT is I just learned Texas caviar my brain might be overloaded right now 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    My wife requested the brisket she likes it better than pulled pork 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
     I’m also going to search the form for some good coleslaw recipes unless anyone has one and wants to make my life easier and post the link or recipe on here 
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    ABT- Atomic Buffalo Turd- Jalapeno pepper usually split length-wise, deveined and seeded then stuffed with about any filling you can come up with, wrapped in bacon (the home-run ingredient, unless a vegan) and grilled (I go indirect til the bacon is cooked).  The search function will give you several days of reading pleasure.  ;)
    If you are comfortable with managing a brisket cook then go for it, but if this is your first brisket rodeo I would save the virgin brisket cook for another event.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
     I’m also going to search the form for some good coleslaw recipes unless anyone has one and wants to make my life easier and post the link or recipe on here 
    This is a great recipe from amazingribs.com.  It's a wonderful site for all things BBQ if you've never been there, Meathead has put it together well.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/vegetable-slaw-salad-and-dressing-recipes/sweet-sour-slaw-recipe

It works great for a crowd, just get the bagged slaw at the store.  I add some jalapeno for a bite.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    logchief thank you

Long Island NY    
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Since a “ditch the brisket” suggestion has been made, have you considered fajitas?

Meat for the carnivores, veg for the lesser mortals. You don’t have to tend anything once all the fixings are laid out. Easy for people to grab a bite in between events. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    caliking trying to talk the wife into brisket on a stick and if that works the menu might get completely revamped

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I was leaning to fajitas to begin with have some pulled pork and chicken and steak and shrimp as the proteins and of course beans peppers and onions rice with some homemade quac and sour cream and home made salsa 
    Long Island NY    
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like you already have a fajita game plan figured out. 

Why not do beef ribs as burnt ends, for the appetizer? 

And everyone is happy :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I have never done burnt ends before not sure if I should make a first on a day that I’ll be highly distracted a.k.a. intoxicated
    Long Island NY