Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iowa Butter Crock

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
Intrigued by Caliking's butter crock, I stumbled upon a handmade gem on Amazon.

Karen is out of Altoona, IA.
https://youtu.be/fiHFvByImkE

This piece has a different pattern from what is pictured, which I actually prefer less white.  The Stony color best matched the countertop and backsplash.

This a larger butter crock, as one package of Kerrygold just fits.  Most hold only one stick.
Filled it 1/3 with heavily salted water.  It's nice to now have soft Kerrygold on demand. 

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    We have been a fan of KerryGold for a few years since first learning about it here. Then I purchased a French butter keeper from BB&B. I agree wholeheartedly - having the butter soft at room temperature is a win win!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You leave that on the counter top or in the fridge?  Is it advantageous to churn your own butter stored in this?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes - just on the counter. As @Focker said you put water in the bottom and salt it - I use coarse kosher - then when the crock is turned upside down that water seals the butter. I have NEVER had any KerryGold bad! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yes - just on the counter. As @Focker said you put water in the bottom and salt it - I use coarse kosher - then when the crock is turned upside down that water seals the butter. I have NEVER had any KerryGold bad! 

I have one as well and I've never thought to salt the water? I'm assuming that's just for antibacterial properties correct?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRP
    Options
    Yes. The salt was in the instructions that came with my bell.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks much nicer than the cheapo I bought at BBB. Love the way it works though. Never heard of salting the water, but I'm going to try that. I usually buy unsalted butter and I sometimes get a little mold on it if I don't use it quickly enough. I assume the salt in the water is intended to prevent that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    We have been a fan of KerryGold for a few years since first learning about it here. Then I purchased a French butter keeper from BB&B. I agree wholeheartedly - having the butter soft at room temperature is a win win!!!
    Yeah, it's more of an Irish butter dish, as Kerrygold is all that gets used.  Finishing up the large spreadable tub from Sam's.  Jewel Foods had a 2 for $5 sale recently, stocked up the freezer.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That looks much nicer than the cheapo I bought at BBB. Love the way it works though. Never heard of salting the water, but I'm going to try that. I usually buy unsalted butter and I sometimes get a little mold on it if I don't use it quickly enough. I assume the salt in the water is intended to prevent that.
    Yes it is.  I only get unsalted butter as well.
    Two tablespoons of kosher for this one is the recommendation.  Maybe 1T if it's smaller.  I read about the 2T of salt in the review section on amazon.

I'll change the water out when adding a new Kerrygold block.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities