Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do You Spray Pork Butt?

Options
Starting my pork butt in 8 minutes (11 am PST), and have always sprayed after every hour, a combo of apple cider vinegar and/or water or cider.  the last time I did this the butt became black on the outside, probably too much sugar in the cider.  What are your spraying tips?
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never sprayed a butt. They usually look something like this... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    I've always done a mop of apple cider vinegar, water, and pepper.  black is what you want the bark to be!
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do.

1 cup apple juice
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    1 teaspoon liquid imitation butter

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    Options
    @1voyager how often do you spray? Every hour?

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I don’t, but have absolutely  no issue with it. 
  • 1voyager
    Options
    @1voyager how often do you spray? Every hour?

Yes.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I keep a spray bottle with Apple cider vinegar and water. I only spray it when I open the lid. Not a religious thing. 

Does it help? I don’t know. It smells good and the pork comes out great. Either way...it’s my method. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I don’t think spraying is needed with an egg and especially pork on the egg. Do as you please tho. The results will be great either way. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • garthb4903
    Options
    Ok, today I'm going "NO SPRAY", photos later!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Ok, today I'm going "NO SPRAY", photos later!
    Let us know if you think there's a noticeable difference. I've never sprayed or mopped, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    When I check my drip pan, about every three hours, I spray with 1/2&1/2, Worcestershire & ACV and sprinkle with some rub. It's probably not necessary. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • 1voyager
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your results. I spray for taste not for moisture but maybe it's a step I should drop.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Typically not with the egg. Yes with the stick burner. If I'm going out to feed the smoker some sticks I'll find the time to spray it down since I'm out there anyway. The egg I don't ever need to visit so it keeps me from going out and doing it. 

Do you use mustard? I kicked the mustard slather and go strictly rub. I like the overall texture better with no mustard on the egg. Worth a try if you use mustard 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • garthb4903
    Options
    @WeberWho I do use mustard, so next time, no mustard, no spray!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    @WeberWho I do use mustard, so next time, no mustard, no spray!
    Mustard might be the main culprit. I don't like a heavy dark bark. I ditched the mustard and like the results better between the two
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • garthb4903
    Options
    @WeberWho Ok, F mustard then
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never sprayed or mopped a pork butt, and they're always dark, but not black, and plenty moist.  I agree with others above who say no spraying is needed in an Egg unless you're specifically trying to add a flavor to the outside (which I think would work better with a glaze at the end, if you want to do that).
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No spray, no mustard.  Yes brine.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I do not spray butts but do use canola oil with rub and get really dark crust on butts.    Also, I have just gotten some pink butcher paper to try on butts instead of foil to wrap.  Also, when I wrap I move the food to the oven to finish and save my charcoal or use egg for next item to cook.   Works well when doing brisket then butt after brisket wrapped and in oven.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I do not spray butts but do use canola oil with rub and get really dark crust on butts.    Also, I have just gotten some pink butcher paper to try on butts instead of foil to wrap.  Also, when I wrap I move the food to the oven to finish and save my charcoal or use egg for next item to cook.   Works well when doing brisket then butt after brisket wrapped and in oven.
    You don't need oil for a dark crust. See my pic above. It's the rub and the smoke wood that gives color.

I rarely hear of folks wrapping butts (in either foil or paper). Just leave 'em on the egg til done. Unless they're FTCing them. And that's only necessary if the butt's done before you're ready to eat. I almost never FTC. I cook mine, take it off the heat, pull and eat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    You don't need oil for a dark crust. See my pic above. It's the rub and the smoke wood that gives color.

I rarely hear of folks wrapping butts (in either foil or paper). Just leave 'em on the egg til done. Unless they're FTCing them. And that's only necessary if the butt's done before you're ready to eat. I almost never FTC. I cook mine, take it off the heat, pull and eat.
    This.  But try brining.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    No spray with the BGE as I'm in the lazy cook supervisor role once it gets going.  
    And I'm with @WeberWho with regard to spraying when the stick burner is in play.  Then I will use a mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice (ratio eye-ball dependent ) about every 60-90 minutes.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    You do what you think will taste good, that’s the fun of the cook! I spray ribs and pork butt with apple juice every 30 minutes to an hour of time permits because I like the caramalization, but some don’t like that flavor. Add your own spin as you go. If you cook to the right temp it will taste good either way don’t worry about flavor a pork shoulder flavors itself. Some pitmasters use no seasoning at all. Just smoke for flavor.