Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table advice

Options
Hello everyone,

I am in need of a table for my Large BGE that I can leave outside during the summer and then in the winter I will store inside garage and bring outside on weekends to cook.  The dilemma is that I have a detached garage and my cooking area is between my home and garage and to enter the garage there is a 5 inch step up.  So I am looking for a table that is well built and will be able to withstand being lifted up over the 5 inch high door entry to wheel back into my garage to be stored.  Basically, the nice looking cedar one at ACE has small wheels on it and really no handles to lift and I question how durable it will be for what I am looking to do.(is it but together enough to be lifted a lot)

I live in Colorado where the weather is incremental at times and always windy where I live and can get heavy snow from times and just don’t like to leave my baby outside all winter.  

Any advice on a company or person that would make a grade A bad*** table?  I am not looking for a big one, just large enough for BGE and a room on side for food prep pan etc.

THANK YOU much!

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Get a nest with a handler and a separate stainless prep table. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Any table will be a two person job to lift each end over that five inch door sill.  The nest and handler will make it a one person job. 

I would encourage you to rethink not leaving it outside.  You are willing to during most of the year. UV and rain exposure will do as much damage to the table as will winter weather.  There are plenty of eggers who leave their eggs outside in winter weather more severe than what you experience. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    The chances of damaging your egg (devastating) by moving it up and down a step are MUCH higher than it being damaged because of weather. If it were me, I’d get a stainless table (my wooden one fell apart after a few years) and a good cover and leave it outside. YVMV. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine's been outside in Connecticut for nearly 9 years. Nest and side table, no cover. I also have a detached garage with a patio (my cooking area) between it and the house, a 5-6" threshold at the garage door. There's no way I would even consider dragging an egg over it, Handler or not, table or not! 

Leave it out, no risk of damage when moving it and you'll use it more if you don't have to drag it outside every time you want a burger. You might even use it during the week in winter if it's kept outside - many of us do. You might want a cover for it if you put it in a table. The egg'll be fine, but the table might weather a bit.

PRO TIP: It's best if you keep the dome closed when not in use. :rofl:
    I was going to egg dinner, added new lump, but didn't light it yet. Went in the house for something and decided not to egg after all. Forgot I had left the lump out and the dome open. It snowed some that night. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You should be able to find a woodworker locally that could make one.   To move it up or down a 5" curb is no big deal, you just want enough ground clearance under the table.  Larger wheels are a benefit to moving it over rougher terrain. 

I have 6" cast iron with solid rubber tires on my table.  One person can move it.  If you are going up or down a curb....lift up one side then walk to the other side and lift it.  No big deal.  I've moved mine (by myself) up a ramp into my truck, up and down curbs, down the street, it's just a cart at that point that weighs maybe 300 pounds.

You are not going to break it moving it in the table unless you're being idiotic like being drunk and racing some other drunk person.  Eggs are just not that fragile.  Go slow and exercise a modicum of caution. 

I've driven eggs around in my truck dozens of times, taken them on the highway, never a problem.  You're more likely to break it trying to move it in a nest and knocking it over.
    Options
    Check the new modular nests by BGE. They are built like a tank and have large  wheels. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

5" step up is a LOT to move an egg & table.  Mine has 8" wheels, and 1" threshold is a good sized bump to roll it over.

If you had some type of ramp to take it up those 5", it would be much easier.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

I have 6" cast iron with solid rubber tires on my table.  One person can move it.  If you are going up or down a curb....lift up one side then walk to the other side and lift it.  No big deal.  ....
    Except that he needs to go through a narrow doorway at the same time. No room to walk around. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I have 6" cast iron with solid rubber tires on my table.  One person can move it.  If you are going up or down a curb....lift up one side then walk to the other side and lift it.  No big deal.  ....
    Except that he needs to go through a narrow doorway at the same time. No room to walk around. 
    And I suppose that's the only door in the building.   How did humans ever build the Pyramids or one guy build Coral Castle? 
    Options
    Options

Options

And I suppose that's the only door in the building.   How did humans ever build the Pyramids or one guy build Coral Castle? 
    The human desire to store grain?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    After four years with it, I love my Challenger as much as ever. 

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.