Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Obsessed with Dremel tools?

Options

I love them and got so many from past and current hobbies I can't recall them all, but here goes.

2 regular, 1 cordless/rechargeable, 2 routers, vise, drill press, and countless attachments.

How about you all?

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Nice hobby, but...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep, I use at work and home.  I have ONE and a boatload of attachments (too many to list).  I use the EZ lock cutoff wheels A LOT. They work well on 304SS where precision cuts are essential and a angle grinder with Diablo cutoff wheel is not.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I own a cordless but just haven't found the time to use it much. I do use it when doing fine detail work on furniture that I am refinishing or when shaping handles on custom knives.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@berndcrisp. I'm sure your fondness for rotary tools stems from the hobbies they are used for.  What are you doing with them?

I've got three of them, but since i don't employ them for fun purposes, I only see them as a handy tool.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I've done this more than a few times.  Great way to lose an eye, so watch out!

Options
    Options
    I've only got two. The one I use most often since it is so handy attached to this swing out arm which puts the Dremel right over that green vise where I hold whatever I'm cutting or drilling.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Folks got me the "Sears" version in, what, 1972 or so?  Used it constantly (was a big model builder, and very useful to a weekend musician too).  The locking mechanism finally snapped 2 years ago, got a rechargeable Dremel then (very handy!)
    Those thin cutoff disks are worth their weight in gold.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not so much dremel, but I’m a recent fan of the Kreg stuff. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Not obsessed, but I do own one and occasionally I need something done that only the dremel can accomplish. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Dremel and kreg are nice. I never take this off my dremel. 
  • Lit
    Options
    @eggjlmh why would you flag me for this? I really never use my dremel without that. Plug I use my kreg jigs a lot this was a week or 2 ago repurposed my old xl egg table for a picnic table for the chitlins. 
  • Lit
    Options
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
     The chucks locked up on the last two that I owned so I could not loosen them to get my bits out.  I stripped the locking mechanism on the cordless and broke the corded chuck trying to free them.
      Give me a miniature keyless chuck and I will revisit
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I remember starting out with Dremel tools...now I use Festool!  Built in Germany and craftsmanship is amazing.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I remember starting out with Dremel tools...now I use Festool!  Built in Germany and craftsmanship is amazing.
    Looks like a SawStop in the background. How do you like it? Has it ever protected you yet?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks like a SawStop in the background. How do you like it? Has it ever protected you yet?
    I have a coworker that goes through a couple cartridges a year. Never from skin contact but from some other type of electrical current that trips it. Not cheap either to replace. Probably a lot cheaper than a hospital bill though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Oh I hear you. Since I have owned and regularly use a Delta 10" Unisaw for 34 years and have yet had an incident.  I find the SawStop overkill with the $2,300 price tag for Joe Hobbyist/Woodworker! 

My late Father lost the ends of his two middle fingers on his right hand to a powerful planer. He instilled in my young mind that "the best safety device is that one between your ears"!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    The table saw is a Powermatic 2000.  Bought it from the High School (1 year old) when all the schools went to Saw Stops.  Had a Delta Unisaw for 30 years, so this is a step up.  Never had a saw accident in 62 years, so the Saw Stops don’t appeal to me!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This is a dremel before Dremel.  It's a Power Kraft from Montgomery Ward I inherited from my Dad.  It's all metal and quite heavy.  It's missing a brush cap so my Dad fixed it in place with electrical tape.  I use my Dremel and look at this and wonder why I have it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    where?
    Options
    I've only had one tablesaw accident, when I was building office trailers for a living.  Cutting a 2x4 lengthwise for some 1x2's (we ran out), no splitter, and the board twisted and kicked back.
    A tablesaw is 36" tall, from the floor.  I have a 37" inseam.  Oof-dah.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Small hijack here.  This is me in 2015 after a tablesaw kickback.  I have a cleft chin now.
    Flint, Michigan
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    The newer pro line saws now have Riving Knives behind the blade.  I have not experienced a kick back since.  Even my Festool Track Saw has one.  If your older saw can be retrofitted with a riving knive, I highly recommend it!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The newer pro line saws now have Riving Knives behind the blade.  I have not experienced a kick back since.  Even my Festool Track Saw has one.  If your older saw can be retrofitted with a riving knive, I highly recommend it!
    I concur.  My current cabinet saw and my previous have riving knives and kickbacks are a thing of the past.  You can still get kickback, but it's not going to be from pinching the blade.   Can be challenging to align depending on your saw.   My Festool TS75EQ track saw has one too.