Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please don't stone me but....

Options
2»

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lynne Rosetta Kaspar had a recipe for using grilled portobellos as the pizza. Never made it but thought it sounded good. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Do Share your recipe!  Thanks!
    @Kaybee @BBQBuddy Here you go.

Egg Plant Parmesan

Part 1

·         Take one or two egg plants and peel the skin (one for small casserole or two for a large depending on how many you are feeding.

·         Cut into ½ inch squares.

·         Put the chunks into a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. You are trying to tender them up.

·         Pull, put in colander and run cold water over them to rapidly cool them down.

Part 2

Can be done while you are working on part 1

·         Put a liberal amount of olive oil into a skillet (don’t use cast iron here) (couple of table spoons estimated)

·         Place fresh garlic (I use about four large cloves) minced into the hot olive oil and cook for about 30 seconds. You are blending the flavors / not frying the garlic if that makes sense.

·         At to it one or two cans of stewed tomatoes. I use just plain and not the Italian or Mexican blends.

·         Stir / mix well

·         Add a tablespoon of all-purpose (two tbls if you are using two cans) flour to it and stir until dissolved.

·         This should cook down for about 15 min and reduce slightly. The consistency should be a slightly thickened sauce.

·         Add one tablespoon or two of paprika and basil dried (I use store bought). In this case it works as it will blend with the sauce nicely.

Part 3

·         Put a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the casserole.

·         Layer in half of the eggplant and ladle over sauce.

·         Cover with a generous layer of mozzarella

·         Layer a second level of eggplant and sauce.

·         Instead of Mozzarella, this time put a healthy layer of fresh grated parmesan. Use a high quality and don’t be bashful with the amount.

Put on the egg indirect at about 325 – 350 and bake until it looks like this.  I top with some fresh basil for garnish.

If you have availability to it….drop a couple of pieces (sparingly) of olive chips in. This is not critical so don't sweat it if you don't. It ain't easy to find either.

All your ingredients are cooked so really what you are doing is melding them together and getting a nice brown to the cheese topping. 

Transfer leftovers from the cast iron casserole to another container to store in frig.

Hope you enjoy it. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Does anyone else feel discomfort in their neither regions upon seeing this? 
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Here's one that looks interesting as an appetizer:

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-tteokbokki-spicy-korean-rice-cakes-recipe

Gotta do something to prevent that toilet being the last image in my post!
  • BuzzinBoca
    BuzzinBoca Posts: 13
    Options
    Having a almost vegan sibling, I'd suggest avoiding tofu or seitan unless you know they like them.  Sis thinks of them as meat replacements more than desirable food.  For her, the desirable part of being vegetarian is the veggies.  On the other hand she wouldn't eat anything cooked over charcoal,  so I'm not sure we share the same parents.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Smoked Mac and Cheese. I serve it every year for the Professor cook out-there are a few vegetarians and they just love it. I make a dutch oven full and none is ever left over. And it is real easy-make on stove top, top w/Panko and bake on Egg for about 30 minutes till nice and brown.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.