Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chickpea Hummus

Options
zahulio
zahulio Posts: 135
Tried my hand at smoking chickpeas and blending them into a hummus. It actually came out too smokey. I left the chickpeas in the XL BGE for about 15 minutes with some Pecan wood. Posted about it here.
Also, i tried a nontraditional hummus recipe, which I think was too much experimentation.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Were those dried chickpeas, or canned that you rinsed off?  I want to try this, love hummus!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Sory, but hummus sans tahini just ain't hummus IMHO.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• zahulio
    Options
    Botch said:
    Were those dried chickpeas, or canned that you rinsed off?  I want to try this, love hummus!  
    These were canned that I rinsed off. Try it and let me know how it turns out. Be careful about how long you smoke the chickpeas. Apparently, they take up the smoke flavor quickly (I didn't know!!).
  • zahulio
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Sory, but hummus sans tahini just ain't hummus IMHO.
    I agree with you actually. The recipe is more of a hummus-chutney hybrid. I just couldn't come up with a catchy name. Any ideas?
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Chummus? Hutney?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • zahulio
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Chummus? Hutney?
    LOL! Nice :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Never thought about what might happen from smoking pre-cooked beans of any kind. Good to know they suck up the smoke.

I keep a bottle of smoked Asian sesame oil on hand for times when I'm either out of tahini, or want something smoother. If you like, sub the oil with 1/3 of that to get the seame flavor back in. A little goes a long way.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Botch said:
    @Botch if you can, use the dried ones, much, much, much more flavor.  Wife makes them in the instant pot which saves time and reserves the water they cooked in to add back in as needed - lots more flavor that way.  The canned ones we’ve tried can be pretty bland.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It looks great! I did the same thing last year and thought it was way too much smoke flavor. I found a hack to get some smokey flavor without it being overwhelming. I made the hummus (and added an herb dressing and parsley salad) then toasted about half a can of chick peas rolled in cumin, turmeric, garlic, oregeno, coconut sugar, S&P (or whatever you're shooting for) and then smoked those at about 350 until they got fragrant. 

They had a nice light smoke flavor but just on the bites you got whole chick peas. May wanna try something like that  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    @Botch if you can, use the dried ones, much, much, much more flavor.  Wife makes them in the instant pot which saves time and reserves the water they cooked in to add back in as needed - lots more flavor that way.  The canned ones we’ve tried can be pretty bland.
    Some years ago I tried using dry garbanzos but didn't really think they were that much better than the canned Goya beans I have always used. Plus, with the canned ones I don't have to deal with removing the skins.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk