Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - the Volkswagen "California" Camper

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
Dammit!  The last line in this video is, "Too bad you can't buy this in America"....
Well then, DAMMIT, don't call it a "California"!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!
Bring it here, you damn germans, and then just TAKE MY MONEY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swtpoH-HZgY

(I owned a '77 bus for five years, regret having ever sold Her...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    That would be awesome. Too bad its not for the US market.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You would think that a vehicle that's been around for 60ish years would LOOK different now. No?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks like the engine is in the front
    They are waiting until the have the battery powered version ready for the US. The last date that I heard estimated was 2022.
  • nolaegghead
    They are waiting until the have the battery powered version ready for the US. The last date that I heard estimated was 2022.
    They must have put Elon Musk in charge of that project.

(seriously though, I really like the guy)
    The reputation of diesels is irreversible poison. Diesels were their bread and butter. That means evolving in a whole new direction or going bankrupt. You might want to research the problems Tesla is having getting the Model 3 to the 400,000 people that put a deposit down expecting a $35,000.00 vehicle with a $7,500.00 tax credit. Tesla has almost used up the 200,000 tax credits that they are allowed and they are only producing the loaded versions that start at $41,000.00.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Battery version?  Electric only or hybrid?  I can’t imagine taking an electric-only camping.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Electric only, supposed to have about 300 miles of range. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
     Hope it has a generator.  At least with the camper you can sleep while you recharge it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited June 2018
    The T6 is pretty close to the previous T5, looks almost the same. We've had T6 vans and sent them back because of the diesel engine faulting and going into limp home mode. Both the T5 and T6 are small vans and being front engined means that there's not a lot of space in the back once the bed folds down. We've camped in one and my brother owns a T5 California - he does travel / camp a lot. My old T2 (1972) feels more roomy in the back because the front cab is so much further forward with the rear engine. Seats 6 as well.

The T5 ran for a long time and there's a lot of businesses converting them into California look alikes. If you got the T5 in the US as a van, a conversion can be as good as / better than the VW original.
  • nolaegghead
    Interesting, never really thought about it but @Eoin, having done so it becomes clear (at least the H4) an engine can fit in front, back or center, but it can be only 24 inches off the floor, which blocks a driver more than a bed in the back.
    So the electric should have much more room, with batteries flat and down low.  But I wouldn’t venture off the beaten path with a full electric.  KOA maybe, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Very cool.  That's gonna be a big hit when it hits our shores.  That could be a great retirement road trip vehicle when the time comes.

Had to laugh when he came out of the closet during the video.

Phoenix 
  • You would think that a vehicle that's been around for 60ish years would LOOK different now. No?
    Umm hi, meet the Porsche 911, VW beetle, Jeep and hummer .... why mess with a good thing lol. 

#bestdesignjobever #convincethemitshardertonotchangeit 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2018
    Like yawl didn't think I would miss an opportunity to post a picture did you?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    they took an iconic grubby dirty hippie mobile and turned it into a poindexter camper. guys walking around in it in 50 dollar chamois socks.  give me the old really cool version =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    they took an iconic grubby dirty hippie mobile and turned it into a poindexter camper. guys walking around in it in 50 dollar chamois socks.  give me the old really cool version =)
    Been meaning to ask, how’s that Range Rover?
  • fishlessman
    Legume said:
    friggin police dept here is slowing things down, they still have not done the police report  and filed with crashdocs(carfax).  hope they get it done soon, i dont want to flip it over til after its fixed. im after them daily now
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Legume said:
    friggin police dept here is slowing things down, they still have not done the police report  and filed with crashdocs(carfax).  hope they get it done soon, i dont want to flip it over til after its fixed. im after them daily now
    Look on the bright side, it can't break down while it's in the shop being repaired.
  • fishlessman
    Eoin said:
    Legume said:
    Look on the bright side, it can't break down while it's in the shop being repaired.
    it cant be repaired til theres a police report so theres still a chance for a breakdown
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is cool...but way to many moving parts to break considering it is a VW. I guarantee if it ever comea to the US it will be a money pit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    That is cool...but way to many moving parts to break considering it is a VW. I guarantee if it ever comea to the US it will be a money pit. 
    Wonder the cost in US$$$? That thing can't be cheap off the lot either.

• Eoin
    Before sales tax $50,000 base model up to $70,000 top model. Plenty of extras to add whichever model you go for. 5 years ago my brother's T5 was pushing $70,000 by the time he added up the options. I think you can add $10,000 easily. It's not a cheap option.
  • Botch
    Eoin said:
    Before sales tax $50,000 base model up to $70,000 top model. Plenty of extras to add whichever model you go for. 5 years ago my brother's T5 was pushing $70,000 by the time he added up the options. I think you can add $10,000 easily. It's not a cheap option.
    Yikes!  That sleeping bag on the back of my 2-wheel beemer is looking better and better.  
    I paid $2,000 for my '77 Bus; sold it 5 years later for $2,000.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eoin
    Botch said:
    Eoin said:
    Yikes!  That sleeping bag on the back of my 2-wheel beemer is looking better and better.  
    I paid $2,000 for my '77 Bus; sold it 5 years later for $2,000.  
    You won't buy a 77 camper now for $2,000, not even scrap value. Mine cost $5,000 from California 6 years ago. Solid body but it needed everything mechanical / interior doing. I stopped counting when the bills went over $30,000 .......
  • Botch
    To be clear, mine wasn't a camper.  I did have to replace the clutch, but otherwise it was pretty inexpensive for me to maintain.  

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,203
    Sounds like a great travel vehicle. Drive 4 hours, recharge for four hours.

"Daddy, are we there yet?"
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • northGAcock
     Eoin said:
    Showed this to my daughter. She said she did not see a place for the. Apparently she didn't watch long enough to see the upper deck sleepin. 

@Eoin can I borrow yours for a week or so when I come over?