Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 300

Options
zganter
zganter Posts: 1
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a Flame Boss 300 and wanted to try it out on a quick, easy cook just to get familiar with how it works and to ease my mind that it will work during an overnight cook. I threw some chicken breasts on the egg and set the FB to 375...the manual said not to go over 400 with the FB.The FB monitor would show that it's set at 375 but would show the pit temp about 30-50 off from that temp. The dome thermometer would show around 275-300 ( FB probe was set on the grate about 2 inches away from the edge).

Any suggestions as to why there's such a discrepancy between the set temp and the temp showing on the FB and also why there's such a big gap from the FB temp and the temp showing on the dome? I'm guessing it may be because it's a high temp cook and it's more meant for low, slow cooks but like I said, I wanted to try it out on a quick, simple cook before diving into something more difficult. Any thoughts?

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Your pit temp hasn’t came up to the set temp yet, that’s why the fan speed is at 98%. Like you said, designed for low and slow. I have never used mine on anything above 300 and that was turbo butt so it cooked for several hours. I always let my pit temp reach the desired temp before adding any meat. 
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There will always be a difference between grate and dome temps. The amount depends on your smoker and cooking technique but somewhere in the zone of 25 to 50 degrees is not unusual.

As previous poster stated, I don't thing you waited long enough to get things to temp, or possibly you did not get a good enough light on the charcoal so it is just smouldering. The FB fan should kick that into ignition though. Your FB should be keeping the temp measured at the probe within 2-3 degrees of your desired set temp. In steady state cook, I like to have my fan kicking in at something under 5-10%. That lets you know that the fire needs the fan to maintain temp and you are less likely to get runaway temps after opening the lid to do something.
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions made already. IMO, the flameboss is easiest to use on the low and slow cooks anyways so you don’t need to practice much on the higher temps with it. I used it on a pork shoulder the first time and couldn’t have been happier with the results. The wife was also happy I wasn’t having to get out of bed every couple hours to check on the temps  ;)