Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING: mad max or Nature Boy

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got some hanger steaks waiting for me in the fridge - gonna grill 'em up tonight.[p]If I hadn't been so interested in grabbing my second piece, I would have paid more attention to the way Chris was slicing that hanger steak at the after party. Max, didn't you say there's a piece of gristle that runs through the steak that you have to either cut around or remove?[p]Just want to know how to slice up these bad boys when I pull them off the Egg tonight.[p]Thanks![p]TRex

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mornin' Jason.
    There is a piece of cartiledge running down the middle. When slicing, I seperated the two muscles right at that center gristle, then slice each muscle individually agaist the grain. You'll see it when you get it out to cook.[p]Happy hangin' bud!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    Options
    Thanks Chris! I'm really looking forward to doing these.[p]BTW, got my rubs last night (A DAY EARLY!!). I'm always so excited to see that little box sitting by the door - it's like Christmas morning all over again. Also got a little extra treat which I will be affixing to my Texas Eggfest apron (thank you very much!). You guys rock![p]Enjoy this rainy day (at least it's rainy down here in SC),[p]Jason

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    dead on right as always. .. . you know, when i first started grilling them whole, i'd cut them into medalions across the short side of the steak and there would be a little bit of that cartlidge/gristle in the center of each medalion. .. .took me a while to figure out that the best way to slice was down the length of the steak which is actually against the grain. .. . [p]the way the french prepare them is to take the raw steak, seperate it into two long pieces, removing that cartlidge, then butterfly each of the two pieces and pound it then, marinade them and grill them quickly. . .(a great marinade is simply soy sauce and either shallots or garlic) . . .at the afterparty i did one in soy with garlic and the other i rubbed first with dizzy cowlick and then into the soy sauce .. .both tasted great. .. not sure how chris prepared his .. .[p]btw .. .even whole, i don't think hanger steak benefits from t-rexing (kinda like skirt or flank steak). . .i just like to grill em direct at around 500 degrees till done (just MHO on this one ...i think chris did a sear/dwell thing with his in atlanta). . . .[p]

• TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I think I'm with you on that, Max. I plan on grilling them like I do skirt steak, over a moderately hot fire (450 - 500) flipping until done.[p]I went out on a limb and tried an old Dr. Pepper marinade - I'll probably rub them with Cow Lick before throwing them on the Egg. We shall see what happens . . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    look forward to hearing how that marinade works out. .. anything else in it besides the DP? . . .

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    TRex,[p]This is why I'm addicted to the forum.[p]exchanges like this thread.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    There needs to be something other that DP? That is the mother necture man!

• TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Because I was lazy last night I just went with the Dr. Pepper, with the thinking that I would add the rub before grilling. In the past (pre-BGE) I have marinated tenderloins with a mixture of DP, beer, and other spices, but I think it was always that DP that had the biggest effect.[p]We'll see how it comes out . . .