Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

foiling platesetter

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
Is there any point? I have a used platesetter and after cleaning it up I would still hesitate to cook pizza on it.

But I used to foil my ceramic heat sink in my old WSM and it stayed pretty clean. Just wondering--if I'm never gonna cook pizza on my platesetter is there any point in trying to keep it relatively clean?

Does the foil add or detract from the purpose of the platesetter? Does the foil change the thermal performance of the Egg?
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Is there any point? I have a used platesetter and after cleaning it up I would still hesitate to cook pizza on it.

But I used to foil my ceramic heat sink in my old WSM and it stayed pretty clean. Just wondering--if I'm never gonna cook pizza on my platesetter is there any point in trying to keep it relatively clean?

Does the foil add or detract from the purpose of the platesetter? Does the foil change the thermal performance of the Egg?
    You will get more hits for the pros and cons about foiling a PS than telling this forum who you voted for and WHY in 2016.

Personally I always foil mine. Reason? Foiling will allow you to clear off the burnt up drippings crap. Of course the more BBQ sauce and fat the meat has then the more the black build up.

BUT in the end - the call is yours!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m in the foil camp. I don’t want to impart flavor on the next cook. 
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I foil mine. Always have. Just trying to keep it somewhat cleaner. 
    Madison, AL
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I foil only for chicken wings because it seem to make grease flare ups less likely
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • DWFII
    Options
    Good point about "off" flavours.
    Instagram
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I never foil the platesetter, but use a foiled drip pan to catch drippings.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hard to get decent reception here so a little foil helps get a couple more channels. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • DWFII
    Options
    I never foil the platesetter, but use a foiled drip pan to catch drippings.
    So do I. In my old WSM I used a big terracotta plant saucer and always had it foiled and always just let the drippings cool overnight. At that point,  it was easy peasy to pull the foil and the drippings off and throw 'em away.

Using the platesetter, I just use a disposable aluminum pan to catch drippings. But I foil it, as well...for the same reason as above.
    Instagram
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I wear a foil hat sometimes.  Platesetter, as necessary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Use the correct size drip pan and there’s no need to waste foil on the PS.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I went for years without foiling, never noticed any off flavors.  Drippings just turn to carbon, seems to me.  But somehow, I think maybe just reading people on this forum saying how awful it was not to, I started using disposable drip pans.  Then I decided that was throwing too much perfectly good aluminum in the landfill, so these days I usually sort of form a drip pan out of aluminum foil and put it on the plate setter.  Cheaper, too.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Air gapped drip pans are all you need unless your food exceeds the pan size.  
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I foil but leave it on there for 2-3 weeks before changing. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Agree, but I can't find a drip pan that fits the XXL plate setter, so I've been using foil.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Agree, but I can't find a drip pan that fits the XXL plate setter, so I've been using foil.

Makes sense Dwayne.  Big surface area.  And, yum.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    This is my setup on a large  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DWFII
    Options
    That's a very large drip pan.  What is it? 16"? Is it disposable? Is it commonly available?

I can see why you wouldn't feel a need to foil the PS.
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive never foiled a platesetter, but ive never cooked on one either
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    large egg, 16" stainless steel pan. Not disposable.  From CGS.  They have an 18" for XL eggs.   They are actually made for serving trays.  You can find larger ones on the web that might do for XXL eggs, but they seem to be quite pricey in the larger sizes.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Looks like a pizza pan with foil.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Looks like a pizza pan with foil.
    Slightly deeper. And the 24" ones I've found online are really expensive.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I just use one of those enameled steel broiler pans that come with every oven ever made. It goes right in the dishwasher, no foil wasted.  I've also got a couple heavy gauge 17" aluminum deep dish pizza pans that would work perfectly as drip pans.  They're pretty cheap too. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I've always foiled to keep the PS clean and then I don't have to scrap off drippings and whatnot afterwards. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You guys just leave the foil on permanently? Or replace it every cook?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DWFII
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    You guys just leave the foil on permanently? Or replace it every cook?
    Eventually, the side toward the fire...and so very close to the fire...gets "burnt" and it needs to be replaced. Which raises its own set of questions, I suppose...

It's one of the reasons I asked the question in the OP.

The other is that foiling the PS makes getting a plate setter lifter on the dern thing, difficult.

That said, over the years I have run across a number of folks who seem so indifferent to the build up of what can only called "gunk", that they literally don't (and don't see a need) clean their cooking grids...ever. I guess the thought...which is similar to some of what has been expressed here...is that the next cook will burn off, or at least sterilize, the residue from the previous cook.

But, for better or worse, I'm a little horrified by that notion. I need a little cleanliness.

Instagram
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Heat the platesetter up to around 600 or more (which is easy to due being directly over the fire).  All the organics that can cause problems will be burnt up - it is clean.  Don't confuse cleanliness with color stains.  

It is harder to handle the grease that flows off the plate setter onto the unburnt lump.  It can stay there until those pieces get hot enough during a subsequent cook and then give off a nasty grease smoke.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• CSH
    CSH Posts: 11
    Options
    I went to my local home improvement store and bought a water heater drip pan in the right size, covered it with foil, then rolled some foil "snakes" to give the pan an air gap from my platesetter. I change the foil when it gets gunky.
    BGE XL, Visions Grill, Multiple Webers, ABS Pit Boss
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you want to make things easier use a raised grid over a foil lined pan and skip the platesetter. its cheaper than disposable foil pans and the carbon steel pan can either be washed in the sink or allowed to patina. save the platesetter and the heat retention you get from it for bread making, its practically useless for low and slow and roasting temps
    fukahwee maine

• DWFII
    Options
    its practically useless for low and slow and roasting temps
    How do you mean?

I just did a small butt (first cook in my completed EGG) ...I wanted to be at 260° to shorten the cook a bit. As with my WSM, I wanted a thermal sink to stabilize and hold the temp.

I used the platesetter (foiled) and a drip pan. I held 265° for 5+ hours and the temp didn't vary from that by any noticeable amount--if the thermometer is correct, if didn't deviate more than a degree or two during the whole cook.

I don't know if that was due to the platesetter or not but it is my understanding that that's precisely what the PS was designed for.

Pretty useful, if so.
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    Options
    DWFII said:
    its practically useless for low and slow and roasting temps
    How do you mean?

I just did a small butt (first cook in my completed EGG) ...I wanted to be at 260° to shorten the cook a bit. As with my WSM, I wanted a thermal sink to stabilize and hold the temp.

I used the platesetter (foiled) and a drip pan. I held 265° for 5+ hours and the temp didn't vary from that by any noticeable amount--if the thermometer is correct, if didn't deviate more than a degree or two during the whole cook.

I don't know if that was due to the platesetter or not but it is my understanding that that's precisely what the PS was designed for.

Pretty useful, if so.
    the ceramic in the egg has enough thermal sink to hold low and slow temps.  the only time you really need more is with high temp cooks like bread cooking where you continuously drop loafs in over and over, i actually do the old weber trick with a deep wok full of sand in the egg for the really hot pizza cooks 900 degrees plus, it helps the egg come back to high temps quicker than a platesetter.

for low and slows ive done butts direct, no indirect setup at 225 for about 12 hours, not the best way to cook them but temp control is not an issue once you figure out how to stabilize and not chase temps.
    fukahwee maine