Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Blackstone Cook

dstearndstearn Posts: 1,184
SRF Beef Hot Dogs and Caramalized Onions.

Comments

• SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,024
    Your yard looks amazing. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,045
    Looks like the neighbors yard
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 1,650
    That’s a great setup. Congrats on the new cooker. 

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini

• bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,129
    Like the table!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• dstearndstearn Posts: 1,184
    Tspud1 said:
    Looks like the neighbors yard
    It’s a townhome HOA community.
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,813
    Yum! Get yourself a lid or use a small foil pan to steam if desired. Squirt some water and cover. Nice!
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,484
    It's just a matter of time before I breakdown and get one of those. Great first cook.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    First breakfast cook. Lessons learned:
    More Oil is required for Hash Browns and they take a while to cook.
    Egg rings will be a nice edition.
    Will need a larger tank and adaper hose.
    The 17 inch model is a gateway griddle to the 38 inch model.

• jak7028jak7028 Posts: 218
    On the hashbrowns - did you pay attention to surface temps at all?  I just got the 36" last week and noticed a few things regarding heat:

1)  It takes much longer then expected to heat up.  I am used to heating pizza stones for a good 20-30 minutes for pizzas. 

2)  It does not heat up the front about 4-5" along the front drain, but the back few inches is pretty even heat with the rest of the griddle.

3) Not much temp variation across the first 3 burners

4)  The right burner (furthest from the starter), even on high, barely gets half as hot as the other 3 burners.  Basically served as a warming area at best.  

I used a IR thermometer to look at temps.  Most of the cooking area was 300-325 after heating up for about 30 minutes.  By the end of the cook, most of it is was 375-425 range.  The 4th burner heating the right side, never got above about 225.  

Has anyone experienced any of this with their 36" ?   Got any advice or pointers?    

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 573
    thetrim said:
    It's just a matter of time before I breakdown and get one of those. Great first cook.
    Just do it.  I got the 17", would advise 22" minimum - 28" probably better.  Very cool little tool.  BTW, what's the eib in your signature?

A BGE chiminea, a small and a 17" BS in Las Cruces, NM

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 615
    I avoided hoa mowing accounts! 200 customers and one check! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    Like the table!
    Thanks! It’s a Challenger cart. 
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 1,271
    jak7028 said:
    On the hashbrowns - did you pay attention to surface temps at all?  I just got the 36" last week and noticed a few things regarding heat:

1)  It takes much longer then expected to heat up.  I am used to heating pizza stones for a good 20-30 minutes for pizzas. 

2)  It does not heat up the front about 4-5" along the front drain, but the back few inches is pretty even heat with the rest of the griddle.

4)  The right burner (furthest from the starter), even on high, barely gets half as hot as the other 3 burners.  Basically served as a warming area at best.  

I used a IR thermometer to look at temps.  Most of the cooking area was 300-325 after heating up for about 30 minutes.  By the end of the cook, most of it is was 375-425 range.  The 4th burner heating the right side, never got above about 225.  

Has anyone experienced any of this with their 36" ?   Got any advice or pointers?    

I have a 36” Stainless and don’t have any of those issues. Mine takes about 5-10min to get to 400 degrees and that’s with it only on medium. I also use an infrared gun to measure temps.I’ve gotten it up to 700 in about 20min on high. I also have even heat distribution across the whole cooking area. Are you making sure all the burners are on the same level and also are you opening up your propane fully?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"- Davy Crockett

• MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 2,158
    jak7028 said:

I have a 36” Stainless and don’t have any of those issues. Mine takes about 5-10min to get to 400 degrees and that’s with it only on medium. I also use an infrared gun to measure temps.I’ve gotten it up to 700 in about 20min on high. I also have even heat distribution across the whole cooking area. Are you making sure all the burners are on the same level and also are you opening up your propane fully?
    Seconded. Just cooked on ours and don’t experience these issues at all. Maybe a regulator issue?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Yum! Get yourself a lid or use a small foil pan to steam if desired. Squirt some water and cover. Nice!
    I am sure I will get all the add ons for my $60.99 investment. Today I spent $100 on an external tank, hose, stand and gas level indicator. Next on the list is a breakfast kit.
  • jak7028jak7028 Posts: 218
    jak7028 said:

Brand new bottle of propane opened 100% - all 4 valves set on high and running wide open.  I was even watching underneath to make sure all 4 burners stayed lit.  

I cooked again and it was better, ended up in the 425-450 range for most of the griddle.  Then about 350 on the right burner that is lagging behind.  

It is a brand new griddle, I don't think the regulator is an issue.  I think it is the wind. I  would understand that lowering the total temp some, but i couldn't see it effecting the 4th burner that much differently when they all seem to be getting the same amount of wind. 

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,872
    Very nice! I have the 17 in blackstone as well. Give smashburgers a shot if you haven't already. I'd also recommend getting a melting dome. It will help you cook those hash browns quicker (among plenty of other things). 

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17"
    Cumming, GA  

• billt01billt01 Posts: 814
    edited June 4
    dstearn said:
    SRF Beef Hot Dogs and Caramalized Onions. =)

you may could have purchased another Blackstone for the cost of those SRF wieners... =)
     "Don't listen to her, Bob.Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach."
                                                                                                     -Jane
                                                                                                     "Man and Superman"
    Have:
    LBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3), Blackstone 36

Had:
    Lang 60D, Cookshack SM150, Stumps Stretch, Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,815
    Most eggscelent....Love the SRF dogs and the 17 BS....love me some Vidalia raw onions on my dogs though.  ;)
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,701
    Most eggscelent....Love the SRF dogs and the 17 BS....love me some Vidalia raw onions on my dogs though.  ;)
    What don't you love?

Johns Creek, Georgia
    I have a 17" stainless lid. I bought 17 and returned it, too small.
    Tspud1 said:

Get this and thank us later!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 3,187
    JRWhitee said:
    What don't you love?
    A broken Ass! He seems to hate that!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 3,187
    Tspud1 said:

How much I would love to have it?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Bacon sandwiches being cooked tonight on the 36” 

Tspud1 said:

How much I would love to have it?
    First $40 takes it. Anyone else will have to wait. I only made one for me. Bought 22" for my 5th wheel and made 2, 2nd is gone already. Didnt think there would be much call for small sizes.