Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Search is Over!

Options
UncleBilly
UncleBilly Posts: 225
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Let me begin by saying that I have been a Royal Oak guy since I got my Egg.  I haven’t had any issues with RO and don’t have a particularly discriminating pallet that can taste much difference in smoking woods.  I’ve steered clear of commenting on any of the lump threads, because I figure everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what works for them.  

With that said, consider this a PSA - I picked up 3 bags of Western brand lump at Walmart this weekend for $10 per 30 pound bag.  Sounded like a screaming deal
. . . Until I opened a bag.  The pieces are huge, heavy and covered in bark.  They’re heavy because they haven’t been properly dried and are still full of moisture still.  I dumped some in the Egg to see just how bad lump can be.  Not only does this stuff put out heavy, stinky, white smoke the entire time it burns, it also stinks like rotted pine when it burns.  Bottom line, the search for the worst lump in existence is over.  I believe this is the worst lump on the planet.  I think I’ll toss the partial bag in the fire pit and burn it with my brush.  The rest is going back to Walmart.  May have to breakdown and give the ol’  Rockwood brand!  

XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I guess I got lucky, the bag I bought has been really good.
    Next bag may not be so lucky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks for the review.  Not out of line for many.
    Lump, religion and politics (one out of three ain't bad) for a Sunday evening show.  Ready, Fire, Aim.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Yikes ! Thanks for the PSA !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    They’ll take back the partial bag too. If you can get it there without spilling it in your trunk. 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    I bought a bag also. Noticed a lot of small unburnt branches as well as the large pieces...I've cooked with it 3 times with everything tasting Smokey with no wood chips.

I feel sorry for the Chinese kids that make this. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    I guess I got lucky as well. Just about through with my first bag and went back and bought two more because it burned so well. Be interesting to see how my luck holds. Thanks for the heads up.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Thanks.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    Got lucky with my one bag so far. Keep thinking I'll get more then read this. I might try another but not stacking it deep.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    For those who have had a good experience with this lump, I am glad for you.  I might have just gotten a crummy bag.  Part of one bag of charcoal certainly isn’t a broad enough sample to damn the whole company, but I don’t think I’ll try it again.  My biggest concern was the fact that smelled like pine.   
    XL  Central Ohio
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Our local Wally World is the only place for 30 miles in every direction that sells lump. They were out of Royal, but had Western on sale for $10.00. Needed some ... I was completely out. Not knowing what to expect, fired the large up & threw on a few chicken quarters... results GREAT on the Western. May go buy a couple more bags
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    It's great for seasoning CI.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."