Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggestions on Blackened Perch

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Never tried to blacken anything before, let alone do it on the Egg. So I have a cast iron flat top griddle piece that fits perfectly on the main grid. I’ve already made up a blackening seasoning and I have a pound of perch filets. I’m thinking of running the Egg at 350* with a handful of pecan chips. Will not be able to use butter, but I can use just a little canola oil. These have to be healthy, so no butter. Am I on the right track?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,127
    Options
    I like crisco and 400, but your plan should work.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
    Options
    I mean Alder chips, not pecan. Almost ready to roll. Need my grilling beverage. 
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Maybe a lil peanut oil or canola and the fish hit with the blackening spices but I wouldn’t waste any wood on something in a pan that will cook crazy quick.   I’d have the egg about 450-500 with the pan in the egg for atleast 20 mins to get a good sear/blacken on the protein 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    No advice but anxious to see the pix, ate many perch at the grandparents' house as a kid but never blackened.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

edited June 2018
    Options
    It turned out OK. Not crazy phenomenal. Maybe it was the temp was too low like Matt sez. Maybe less oil also, and I just kill the seasoning on the cast grid. Dunno fer sure how to make it better. Here’s the pics. Two filets for offspring #2 without seasoning.  She hasn’t embraced seasoned food yet
    Member since 2009
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    To blacken you need to get the cast iron as hot as you can. It doesn't matter what type of wood you use since it's only going to cook 60 to 90 seconds. It's important that your meat is room temperature since it won't be on long enough to cook the center. I know you want to be healthy but you need the butter, that's actually what blackens. Take your meat that's at room temperature and just before you throw it on brush it with melted butter, another reason for room temperature, you don't want the butter to congeal, then season it heavily. Cook the first side pull it repeat the butter and seasoning. This allows the cast iron to get hot again.  Good luck and have fun. Once you get it wired you'll try all kinds of things. Chicken, steak, pork chops. ....
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    Options
    That sounds delicious but at this time I’m looking for a butter-free version. Mrs. 500 is on the Weight Watchers lifestyle so most of the time my cooks will be low fat and lean. I want to know how blackening is done properly and I respect then true method but feel r now I need to try it low fat and lean. No disrespect to the proper method. 
    Member since 2009
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    These days, what "blackened" means to most people is just sautéed with "blackening" seasoning.  That's not what Paul Prudhomme did when he invented that technique.

I think you're right that the pan almost certainly wasn't as hot as Prudhomme's.  As I recall, he rolled the fish in butter, then seasonings, then threw it on a cast-iron skillet that was outrageously hot.  The result was CLOUDS of smoke, and he strongly warned anyone against ever attempting this inside unless you had a professional exhaust hood!  He said if you're a home cook, either do it outdoors, or don't do it at all, because if you do it right, there will be a LOT of smoke.  Here's a description of how he did it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,127
    Options
    Per @Theophan 's link:

"You can also make this a reduced fat dish simply by spraying both sides of the fish filets with nonstick cooking spray (instead of using butter) before applying the seasoning"

Key seems proper amount of seasoning, completely dry skilket, and 600 deg+ skillet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin