Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook -- Possibly too small

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I have been reading about briskets for some time, and finally decided to try one on my LBGE. 

So, yesterday I bought a small trimmed one (3.75 #s) (thinking that I might want to try the technique on a smaller one and spend less money than a large flat.  Also, it is just my wife and I, so I figured that would still allow some leftovers, but not too many. )   This is possibly a mistake and I probably should have just gotten the larger flat.  That said, I can't return the meat, so I must go forward from there. 

As we know, this forum is loaded with advice on briskets, but all seem to be for the larger flats.  But am I doomed with a smaller piece of meat?

Here is the process that I am considering. 

1.  I am assuming that it will take about 1 hr/#, if the grill temp is at 250, and we want to eat at around 6:30, so I am thinking about putting it on around 1:00 PM.  I was considering a lower grill temp to allow more smoking time, (225) but I read here that the lower temp doesn't deliver the desired texture.  (True?) However, many have posted that it cooks faster, and since I have a smaller brisket, I might experience that issue.  If so, I will just pull it when it gets to 200 if it probes well and wrap it in foil to rest.  (Or should I let it rest unwrapped?)

2.  I will use about 25% Oak and 75% coal.  (Should I do 50/50?)

3.  I plan on putting water in the drip pan.  I know that there is a lot of debate on this, but since I think that time will not be an issue, it might help slow down the cook and improve the moisture content of the meat.  (Any downside to the bark by adding water to the pan?)

4.  I plan on just letting it run through the probable stall by not wrapping it in foil.

I know that the cow drives the cook, but any comments about the above and suggestions for improvement are appreciated.  

Thanks

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Any suggestions here?  
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I wouldn’t say you’re doomed but I’ve found cooking small flats to be frustrating and I’d recommend a full packer brisket over just a flat.  In my limited experience with cooking flats that size my times took much longer than an hr/lb.  I’d start earlier or cook hotter if needed and finish early and allow for a couple hours of rest wrapped in foil, then wrapped in towels in a cooler to hold it hot.  Let it cool a little before wrapping in foil.

For smoke wood, your oak to lump charcoal ratios are high.  I’d only put a few chunks of oak in.

water in the pan is optional but make sure it doesn’t dry out or you’ll get a spike in cooking temp when it dries out.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    I'm a relative newbie compared to some of the bbq gods that live on here, but your plan sounds good... Try not to over think it, have fun, and if it isn't the best brisket ever, then you can try changing some things on the next cook...

I use a drip pan with some water. No idea if it really changes the bark, I just know my briskets come out pretty tasty, and nobody has once complained about my bark! 

I like a little water in the drip pan, because even with some copper tubing offsets under my disposable drip pan, the drippings still seem to burn and give off an unpleasant smoke (to me). So having a little water in the pan prevents this. You don't need much.

You also don't need too much wood-- just a couple chunks is good. Mostly charcoal. 50/50 wood to charcoal seems like way too much to me, but others can weigh in...

And to your first question... 3 lbs is really small for a brisket. It might come out a little tough no matter what you do... Keep in mind that those amazing pictures of tender sliced brisket flats that people post were usually part of a much larger packer. I resisted it for a long time, but you might want to consider getting a vacuum sealer, cooking larger cuts of meat, and sealing and freezing the leftovers. I think that's what many do around here, me included, and there's a reason why! It's worth it...

Good luck, have fun, and post lots of pics! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey