Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Heading to Italy

Options
2»

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    It's interesting. My wife and I have very different versions of what we want on vacation sometimes.

For Italy, it's very striking.

For her, there's a few must do "old buildings/churches".

Although we're not religious at all, I love old churches. Could spend hours in them.

Italy, for her, is Tuscany, Capri and the Almafi Coast. (and shopping in Florence)

Although she didn't think she was interested in Pompeii until I showed her some pics online.

Gonna be fun to see how it it shakes out.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I had very low expectations for Venice, but absolutely loved it. Only needed a couple hours in St. Marks square to do the mandatory Basillica and Doge Palace, and then I could get lost for days in some of the outlying neighborhoods. 

Exactly. There is a very small church, Chiesa del Gesuiti (also has other names), that is one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever seen. Most of the Church is carved marble and some so delicate you need to touch it to make sure it’s not lace or fabric. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    We really enjoyed Lake Como. We stayed in Bellagio for a few nights. It was the highlight of a trip that included Rome and Venice. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    We really enjoyed Lake Como. We stayed in Bellagio for a few nights. It was the highlight of a trip that included Rome and Venice. 
    We thought about The Lake region but decided to save it for a possible Swiss/N. Italy down the road. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    On my bucket list. Enjoy. Looks like you have great plans. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited May 2018
    Options
    dmchicago,  Based on ~ a dozen trips to Rome and Milan for work and a couple more to Italy for play, I'd recommend using a private driver as much as you can afford.  Both to get the most out of your time but also be as relaxed as possible.

My driver in Rome was the wonderful Walter Bellapadrona. 
    http://www.taxiservicemontalcino.it/EN/contatti_taxi_autonoleggio_montalcino.html
    but it looks like he's relocated his service to Montalcino. I met Walter when I literally walked into him walking out of a hotel.   He's totally sweet and an inherently cheerful person;  not common for a Roman.  He speaks very good English.   He ends his emails with "Big Kiss from Walter".  It's so Italian of him! :-)    He probably wouldn't do that if you are a guy. 

Use TripAdvisor to check reviews on private drivers, and negotiate big picture "OK how much for 2 full days wherever we want to go."  etc

Private drivers are especially valuable when you know you want to go to 3-4 different places in a city but aren't booked on a tour.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    Take a taxi in Rome just so you can say you survived the experience. Every road is  basically 4 wide Nascar maneuvering. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    dmchicago,  Based on ~ a dozen trips to Rome and Milan for work and a couple more to Italy for play, I'd recommend using a private driver as much as you can afford.  Both to get the most out of your time but also be as relaxed as possible.

My driver in Rome was the wonderful Walter Bellapadrona. 
    http://www.taxiservicemontalcino.it/EN/contatti_taxi_autonoleggio_montalcino.html
    but it looks like he's relocated his service to Montalcino. I met Walter when I literally walked into him walking out of a hotel.   He's totally sweet and an inherently cheerful person;  not common for a Roman.  He speaks very good English.   He ends his emails with "Big Kiss from Walter".  It's so Italian of him! :-)    He probably wouldn't do that if you are a guy. 

Use TripAdvisor to check reviews on private drivers, and negotiate big picture "OK how much for 2 full days wherever we want to go."  etc

Private drivers are especially valuable when you know you want to go to 3-4 different places in a city but aren't booked on a tour.   

@Sweet100s

Thanks! We have private drivers booked every opportunity we need them.

All Mercedes Benz cuz why the fu*k not?

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I went in 2001 and I just want to say I hate this entire thread.   You're going to have the time of your life.   There's this one place in Venice where we ate that we legitimately got lost trying to make our way back to train to Vicenza.  No idea the name of it, but positive we were only Americans in that place.   Just awesome.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited May 2018
    Options
    7 random tips for you

1) One thing I started doing a couple years ago for the non-work days of trips across the pond: 
    Had an alterations person customize my favorite vest.  She added to the inside of the vest,  4 pockets from the back pockets of 2 pair of boys cargo pants in a similar color. $10 from Target. ~ $50 for the alteration.  No one would think to pick pocket there, especially with a scarf.  A scarf dresses up any vest or outfit when traveling.

2) If a teenager or anyone carrying a baby approaches you asking for directions, that means you've probably been marked for pick pocketing and person #2 is nearby.
    Handy phrase: 
    Non toccare = don't touch   (simplest way to say it that gets the point across)

Mixing English and Italian works too.

"Non toccare or I will call Polizia di Stato on you right now."   (dial 113)
    is usually intimidating enough.  ("Carabinieri" is more correct but harder to say when feeling emotional.)

3) You're be there well before the hottest part of the summer, but I found it handy to know: 
    ghiaccio = ice 

I prefer well-iced drinks in summer vs lukewarm. 
    I cheerfully acknowledge it's an American thing :-).
    "sono americano. ho bisogno di ghiaccio"

Last time I tried that the server immediately replied, "no worries madame". Then, he demonstratively returned to the kitchen loudly talking to himself about the american who needed ice the entire way.  All in good fun :-). 

4) pronunciation note:
    I was coached that thank you,  "grazie" , is pronounced [grazi-eh] . not [grazi]

5) A polite, simple-to-understand, yet direct way to preface your questions: 
    "Is it possible..."
    Is it possible to drive to _____ within 30 minutes? 
    Is it possible to bring me 2 extra face cloths? 
    Is it possible to do that before __:___ when I go to sleep? 

That seems to be 10x easier to understand than Could you___   or Would it be possible to ____

6) Google Drive docs keep me easily organized
    doc naming is the trick
    preface each doc with date and time
    voila - your agenda forms automatically simply by sorting the folder by doc name
    one folder per trip

yyyy mm dd tttt  event
    2018 05 15 0800 Breakfast with ____ at _____
    2018 05 15 1600 Train to Florence Platform ___  
    2018 05 16 1000 Hotel Lobby meet driver

this makes each doc very short which is great for phone skimming in transit

Non event specific reference documents are named whatever 
    "Rome evening fun - options" 
    "Florence shopping"

7) Texas state pins
    I bring 20 or so texas state pins to give to people who are especially nice - for them or to give to their kids. 
    I explain that when they wear them, it will 1) Make them extra tough 
     2) Intimidate all New Yorkers, because Texans are tougher than New Yorkers ;-). 
    https://www.pinmart.com/texas-state-shape-lapel-pin/
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    One more pro tip - Use the Offline Maps function of Google Maps on your smartphone. It downloads all the map data to your phone so that you don't need a cell/network connection to view maps. Saves significant battery and data charges. Do it on wifi before you go, downloading maps for the major cities.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • dmchicago
    Options
    One more pro tip - Use the Offline Maps function of Google Maps on your smartphone. It downloads all the map data to your phone so that you don't need a cell/network connection to view maps. Saves significant battery and data charges. Do it on wifi before you go, downloading maps for the major cities.
    Nice tip.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Haven't been to Italy since I was a boy in the '60s, but I loved it!  I envy you.  Enjoy the heck out of it!!!
    Similar story here... "grew up" in Italy in the early 60's.  My spousal unit and I made it back in 2000 as Ducati footed our bill over and back.  Totally nothing planned for that trip other than taking my "new" bike around the Misano track in San Marino. 

Unfortunately @dmchicago I'm more of a wing it kinda guy when it comes to vacations.  Do I miss special things along the way... maybe but we always have a great time!

Enjoy your time there and be safe in Roma!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Nice tip.
    Yes it is. Excellent. Thanks. 
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    edited May 2018
    Options
    In Positano, (Amalfi) I would highly recommend "da Costantino" ristorante. Beautiful location way up on the hill overlooking the Med. Open widows with tables right by the window. Family owned/operated. Great experience all around. Will not find many tourists there at all, if any.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Just got here (Rome) today. 

The Negroni tour has begun. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    And off we go with ya!  I’ll be watching closely. What fun!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • dmchicago
    Options

Random pics so far. Rome and Florence. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice! 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    So Jealous. We were there just last year, but I can't wait to go back.
    Wait til you get to Tuscany!
    Enjoy!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this up because on the ferry from Capri to Positano this morning, we saw Rick Astley. 

Dennis - Austin,TX