Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

experiment with naan on BGE inner wall

I got a new base (warranty replacement) and my friend Neghae reminded me to try cooking Naan on the clean inner BGE surface. The first time I slapped it on, it actually worked! Dough stuck (maybe too well). After that though, I couldn't get it to stick again. I made a video: https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/05/21/539/
Anyway, the naan that did stick wasn't as good as naan I subsequently made on the platesetter. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Rock on!

Naan is a subject very dear to me :)

Cooking naan stuck on to the wall of a tandoor is the traditional way to do it, so yours was a cool experiment. It may not have stuck the second time around because tandoors are often seasoned to help the naan stick. Also, it helps to sprinkle some water on the back of the naan to help it stick.  Here is an article I found several years ago, that includes a recipe for the seasoning. You could do this to the inside of the new base for your egg, without any ill effect. However, for the naan to be done properly, it should be stuck to the inside of the dome, as that's where the heat funnels up to exit through the top vent. But you have (IMO) a very fundamental concept about naan already down - that the naan has to "see" the fire i.e. heat has to hit one side of it directly. 

I spent a lot of time figuring out this whole naan business, and have been extremely pleased with the end result. So far, once you have the dough you like, the best method has been using a CI pan flipped over, so the naan is directly over the coals. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205398/the-relentless-naan-thread-part-2-also-long-but-i-think-i-nailed-it/p1

The above thread is a long read, but the info you need is right at the beginning. You could try using 2g of yeast instead of the sourdough starter. This CI pan method works well on the egg too.

If you try it, we need pics!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    For the combo of two sided direct heat, how about putting it on the hot platesetter and then hitting the other side of it with a searzall/weedburner (not a heavy trigger finger, feather the throttle here)
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    For the combo of two sided direct heat, how about putting it on the hot platesetter and then hitting the other side of it with a searzall/weedburner (not a heavy trigger finger, feather the throttle here)
    If it’s on the platesetter, it can be flipped and bot sides cook fairly evenly.
  • This picture makes me sad because I realize how dirty the inside of my ceramic actually is vs that colour