Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clay pot in the Egg?

Options
swamprb
swamprb Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used to cook with a Romertopf clay pot but as the family grew it got shoved to the back cabinet. With all the posts regarding egging with cast iron pots or woks, has anyone tried a clay pot in the egg? You soak the pot in water and put in a cold oven and bring to 400-450F. How would I go about it? "If you can cook it in an oven you can cook it on the egg" Whaddya think?

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    No doubt about it. Your egg is just an oven. I use a plate setter to shild it from the fire.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    No doubt about it. Your egg is just an oven. I use a plate setter to shild it from the fire.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    swamprb,
    It might be tough to get the Egg fired up to temp with the clay pot inside. Maybe while the Egg heats up, you can start the pot in the oven, then set it in the BGE once the fire is established. Also not sure that the clay would hold up to the fire, so it would probably be best to use it over firebricks or a platesetter.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    swamprb,
    My wife is a potter and makes ceramic beer butt chicken cookers. When always put the ceramic cooker with the chicken in the egg before it heats up. Occasionally the ceramic cookers crack if they are put in a hot oven or egg.
    Rich