Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL BGE, new to the community

Was just lucky enough to get my first BGE in the form of this XL. Also new to the BGE community!!

I read about the breaking in process, and also read some learning curve horror stories, so I did a test burn last night. I was extremely happy to say, I was able to keep it within 300 - 350 degrees pretty easily for a few hours. I am going to try some chicken tonight!!

New XL BGE with table.

Of course, have to have the pic of it nice and clean!!

XL BGE - Plano, TX 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Very nice.  Welcome.   Looking forward to pictures of your cooks.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Awesome, you're going to love it.  Welcome to the forum!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Welcome and Congrats on the new egg smart choice. Don't worry to much about the temp if your a little hotter your food will be done a little sooner if lower a little longer! Calibrate your dome temp gauge as they can be way off even when new. Put your wallet in the safe the BGE accessories will drain your retirement account! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• HappyChuck
    HappyChuck Posts: 6
    I noticed most people on here have a granite or concrete slab in between the EGG and the table. The dealer didn't mention anything, is this something people have found out the hard way is very necessary?
    XL BGE - Plano, TX 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    I noticed most people on here have a granite or concrete slab in between the EGG and the table. The dealer didn't mention anything, is this something people have found out the hard way is very necessary?
    Mine is in a nest so..

What i do remember reading here is if you have feet (like seen above in your pic), you should never find out anything bad the hard way...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Welcome aboard.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2018

Hopefully someone will come along soon who has a more precise answer. 

But, BGE sells the table nest as-is for a reason.  I suspect that it is deemed a satisfactory gap.  Most likely you'd be fine.

That being said,  your table catching on fire and burning your house down, while unlikely, seems like an unnecessary risk.  I'd buy a paver and have piece of mind. Just my 0.02.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Welcome. Plano used to have a nice Eggfest every year.
    The table stand is enough of a gap. If it were me, I would buy a thin grilling pad and cut to fit. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Original-Grill-Pad-30-in-Round-Berry-Black-Deck-Protector-GP-30-C-BK/202448220
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Back in 2006 my dealer didnt mention it to me either. I learned the hard way, it could have been much worse.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Almost forgot, congrats and welcome to the asylum. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Welcome, I did notice 1 thing in your "Clean" picture above. It appears you put the ceramics in where they are almost touching on one side of the egg. Make sure both the firebox and fire ring have an open space approx. 1/2" all the way around at the top of each to allow for proper airflow. Also on your fire ring, make sure you place it so that one of the slots where the Platesetter goes is in the 1 O'clock or so position. The eggs generally get a hot spot in that location because its opposite the vent at the bottom. This will help dissipate the hot air around that area when cooking indirect.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Congrats on the XL and welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • If you want, set the egg table stand on a garden paver. Now go out there and get that white egg interior dirty! 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Love my XL BGE, it is a cooking machine.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Congrats and welcome!
    Madison, AL
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

do not put it on a paver, the air gap is plenty.  I was curious with all the debates so I did the math with the heat displacement coming off the bottom and the air gap is more than enough.  I accidently had my dome thermometer wrapped around and never had an issue on a wooden table. 

welcome to the club.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Welcome - I grew up in Plano!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Welcome- if your new to lump charcoal make sure you burn off the VOC’s before adding food. Make sure the “chemical” smell is gone- takes me around 30-40 minutes on new charcoal. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Congratulations and have fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Welcome to the XL club!
    As noted previously, hide the wallet as these things like to multiply and high grade meat and accessories add up. =)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Welcome!   B)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX