Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn

Options
Stubby
Stubby Posts: 134
How often is a clean burn needed. I lnow it will depend on cook and time but general terms of time and conditions..
THANKS 
XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I do. A clean burn 2x a year minimum.   It depends on how often you cook but after doing a bunch of pork shoulders or briskets, the grates and inside walls of bge can be gooey and full of stuff that can be easily burned off
    I also do a clean burn everytime i make pizza only because i have the xl, mm and large heated up anyway.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I have no set time, but when the creosote starts to curl under my domes AND flake off on to my food then it's time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stubby
    Options
    I was thinking how the build up might affect the food being cooked.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have no set time, but when the creosote starts to curl under my domes AND flake off on to my food then it's time.
    Agree.

A "clean burn" to me doesn't mean running the Egg wide open like a kiln, flames blasting out of the top vent, and the thermometer wrapped past the stops. Too many stories of cracked Eggs....

I'll run around 600 for an hour or two and that has worked well. It burns the gunk off, and I don't need a return to the original ivory color.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I’ve done mine several times a year and/or when I do a shoulder. But I’m rethinking that. I’ve cracked my fire ring a few years ago and I cracked my fire box this year. Both replaced for free but I can’t help but wonder if it was thermal shock that caused that. 

My dealer takes over a month to get replacements. He has to get approval from the mothership after forwarding a picture of the crack. Then I have to wait till they place another order to avoid shipping ($100) otherwise I pay shipping and get it in a week or less. 

A real drag if you firebox is broken in multiable places where it can’t be used as mine was. My solution: buy another egg and borrow the firebox from the new egg and keep grilling. Then when replacement comes in, build an outdoor kitchen with your new and old egg installed. 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Do some pizzas once every month or so. 500-600 for 60+ minutes will do what you need and you get to eat pizza. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    I never do a clean burn. I use crumpled tin foil to remove buildup inside the lid.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I used to do it to burn up all the little pieces of RO but now that I switched to RW I do it 1-2 yr and nothing crazy, 600+. I then give it a good clean out with the shop vac. I clean my grates regularly by putting them in the gasser on high and giving them all a good scrubbing when the goo goes liquid. 
  • Stubby
    Options
    Thanks for all the great methods.. pretty much the consensus is looking like 600 degrees is sufficient or just an occasional scrap when needed..  interesting on the lump differences but that's another thread...
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    While I am a fan of clean burns and actually am one of the "let her rip and burn itself out" guys when I do. OTOH I also favor an occasional scraping using this tool.

It is nothing but an inexpensive plastic putty knife. I put it inside my egg with the blade sticking out, closed the dome and then drew a pencil line to get the curvature. Then off to my band saw to cut it. While a ball of foil will get some off I find the rigidity of this blade works much better.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.