Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Truth lump

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
Local Kroger affiliate carries it at $5.99 for 8#. Anyone know anything about it? It's fairly new to our area.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    simple truth is a Kroger brand for organic.  "Simple Truth® natural and organic items are affordable and delicious."  Please report back how it tastes!  Kroger is having someone else's charcoal packaged as theirs
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If it’s anything like Simple Truth Beef it will be dry, have neutral flavor and burn quick.  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure it is Royal Oak, but not certain if US or other. Your price is about a dollar cheaper than mine. Kroger says US.
    The size of pieces varies from bag to bag and I always end up with a lot of small stuff. The same problem exists with other brands as well.
    Cooking on the coast
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    At that price, give it a go. Worst case you do a clean burn with it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I was told this is filled on the same lines as the OO was. Royal Oak purchased OO and those lines fill for Royal Oak and a host of other private label. Most likely if you are close to the plant then your lump is filled there do to high shipping costs. It’s a logistics thing like automotive batteries. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Not to single out this brand, but don't get too excited over the word "organic" on the bag.  It's only regulated for stuff that goes in you, or on you (e.g. food, drink, soap, lotions, clothes, etc.)  Lump charcoal better be organic, as it's just coming from trees in a forest.  BGE dropped their use of it years ago, and others have too......finally.  Way overused and really doesn't make difference when it comes to fuel.
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    Bought a bag to try. Have used it once. It's not bad, starts faster and burns faster than Rockwood. Would rather use Rockwood but no one carries it here.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Bought a bag to try. Have used it once. It's not bad, starts faster and burns faster than Rockwood. Would rather use Rockwood but no one carries it here.
    Didn't you buy some at Ace Hardware before?  If not, we can ship.  
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    caliking said:
    Not to single out this brand, but don't get too excited over the word "organic" on the bag.  It's only regulated for stuff that goes in you, or on you (e.g. food, drink, soap, lotions, clothes, etc.)  Lump charcoal better be organic, as it's just coming from trees in a forest.  BGE dropped their use of it years ago, and others have too......finally.  Way overused and really doesn't make difference when it comes to fuel.
    You’re missing out on a YUGE opportunity by not labeling RW as “gluten free”. 

I’m tellin’ ya... sales will go through the roof. 
    And don’t forget caffeine free, low sodium, sugar free, fat free, and of course all natural! 
    Southwestern CT
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    caliking said:

And don’t forget caffeine free, low sodium, sugar free, fat free, and of course all natural! 

Dolphin-friendly, Non-GMO, BPA-free.......we got it all.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Trying out for 1st time...ordered yesterday & delivered today. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    caliking said:

Now you can sell it in Whole Paycheck and get twice as much as you get for it now!
    Southwestern CT
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Trying out for 1st time...ordered yesterday & delivered today. 

Link?

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    @jimdgreat1  I ordered direct from FOGO.   Will continue using Rockwood...great product & great company but I wanted to give this a shot & might use the large pieces on bottom then fill with RW to maintain proper airflow on longer cooks.   

https://www.fogocharcoal.com/collections/all/products/fogo-35-pound-super-premium-hardwood-charcoal-bag  

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    caliking said:

You left out Artisan and No MSG!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DWFII
    Options
    caliking said:

You left out Artisan and No MSG!
    All this would be funnier if it weren't the case that our food supply is so contaminated and degenerate that such considerations become meaningful.

And FWIW, I still haven't heard a simple evaluation of the Simple Truth  lump (which BTW, may be Kroger's "organic" brand but AFAIK, the lump isn't labled "organic" ).
    Instagram
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    It is a private label fill by Royal Oak. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DWFII
    Options
    Thanks...I don't mind the RO I've used so far.
    Instagram
  • Cubs1908
    Cubs1908 Posts: 11
    Options
    caliking said:

I realize this is posted in jest, but Celiac disease is a serious medical condition that can cause cancer, MS and other neurological problems.  I understand that some hipsters & millennials are all about it (w/o celiac) but they are actually creating more demand and lowering the cost of GF products so it's a benefit to people with celiac.

BTW: I don't have celiac. I'm not offended.  I just don't like minimizing peoples illnesses.
    Schaumburg, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Cubs1908 said:
    caliking said:

I realize this is posted in jest, but Celiac disease is a serious medical condition that can cause cancer, MS and other neurological problems.  I understand that some hipsters & millennials are all about it (w/o celiac) but they are actually creating more demand and lowering the cost of GF products so it's a benefit to people with celiac.

BTW: I don't have celiac. I'm not offended.  I just don't like minimizing peoples illnesses.
    My buddy has it.  Life has gotten a lot easier for him not that there are more options for food out there.  There's a restaurant chain here in STL who has an extensive gluten free menu, and a separate preparation area in the kitchen for it, because one of their kids has celiac.

I cut down on gluten on the advice of my gastro doc to see if it would help.  It did!  I used to eat a lot of bread, and just cut back.  I'm not off it 100%, nor do I need to be, but it did help alleviate some of my issues.  And if it's convenient, I'll grab the gluten-free option as long as it doesn't taste like crap.

Like you said, makes me shake my head when the young'ins without celiac or any intolerance to it, use it as a status symbol.....but it is helping others indirectly.  Hopefully the fad sticks around because it's making companies a ton of money.