Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which would you perfer?

Options
13»

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @QDude you need to make one more post.  That 666 is freeking me out  B)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Options
    Bucky925, don’t guess I see here your getting the number from.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    It is a miss-perception that you start slower or burn more lump on a larger Egg.  When you are done shut it down.  If you are not tailgating I would tell you go bigger, not smaller.  You get more utility out of a bigger grid.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    IMNSHO, the LBGE is perfect for any small, mid-duty, or large cooks. While it's not "portable" per se, it does everything the smaller BGEs do. At the cost of the smaller eggs, ask yourself how much lump you could buy/use and how much time difference you would gain/lose by just using the LBGE that you have and at what financial outcome over purchasing another BGE.

I know, I know, financial outcome and ROI aren't particulars here, but just positing that thought for you...
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have a medium and a KJ Classic (equivalent to a large).  The medium is very flexible.   For two, it is ideal.  And, you can cook some pretty large meals when you need to.  I have no experience with sizes smaller than the medium, but I don't think they would be a good choice from my reading of the evidence.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have had a large for approximately 5-6 years but our daughter is gone to college and except for summer weekends when we have company by the pool it's just me and the misses.  I wanted a second egg and she bought me one for Christmas last winter.  

I struggled between the MM which so many on here love and the small and the medium.  I ended up picking the MM for a variety of reasons.   Honestly I don't know if I will ever use the portability of the MM, but I love the fact that it can sit on a table.

After using it now for approximately 5 months, it is an amazing cooking machine.   I grill several things each Sunday.   I cook enough for my lunch every day until Wednesday or Thursday, generally cooking 3-4 different things.  The lump consumption is amazing.  I have only used about 2.5 bags and as I say I cook several different things every time I fire it up. 

I now only use the large for larger cooks, such as ribs, butts and briskets.  The MM gets all the burgers, steaks, tuna, salmon, chicken, wings, and brats.   I love it.    
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Why choose, get one of each!
    Southwestern CT