Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Remember when

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Remember when you could put $2.00 worth of quarters in the self serve car wash... and it was enough!
I think it cost me $37.50 today and I could have used a shot of oxygen at the end.lol
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Great post!
    In my very humble opinion everybody on this site, particularly on a day like Mother's Day... Should utube and listen to the Alan Jackson song "remember when"-- whether u like country music or not, u gotta be brain dead not to have that song make u think.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Funny that you posted this. Just yesterday I replied to a fellow my age or even younger about gas wars when station owners would feud by posting cheaper prices across the highway. Best I ever recall was .19 per gallon!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Photo Egg said:
    Remember when you could put $2.00 worth of quarters in the self serve car wash... and it was enough!
    I think it cost me $37.50 today and I could have used a shot of oxygen at the end.lol
    There is one self serve wash near me and it’s .25 for 4 minutes, with no soap( owner hasn’t filled the soap in months) and uses reclaimed water. 
    Back when cigs were .50 a pack and a gallon of milk was .90.
    When the girl running the register knew how to count out change and didn’t have to touch the picture on the screen to ring up your Coke and bag of peanuts.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Remember "We now conclude our television broadcast" messages announced every evening by CBS, NBC, and ABC affiliate stations? When we waited for the morning newspaper delivery to learn who was elected president, when sugar was something YOU added to morning cereal?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    tml1230 said:
    Great post!
    In my very humble opinion everybody on this site, particularly on a day like Mother's Day... Should utube and listen to the Alan Jackson song "remember when"-- whether u like country music or not, u gotta be brain dead not to have that song make u think.
    I'm getting soft in my old age because that song makes me tear up every time I hear it now.
    When I first started driving gas was around $0.79 per gallon.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    After the "We conclude.." message the American flag came on for a while. Next afternoon there was a test pattern before programming began again.
    Remember listening to Cisco Kid, Fibber McGee and Molly and Amos and Andy?
    My mother listened to "her shows" soap operas while doing housework. A fan in the summer no AC. Screw in fuses in the electric box.
    Don't get me started.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Watch out Darian, the wash bays around here you can just put in your debit card and it will run until you hit stop - you never hear the beeping so you just take your time and them BAM!

Nice thing with living in a small religious town you can wash it by hand in the bay on Sunday am and spent $1 to presoak and $1 to rinse it off.  

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    RRP said:
    ... Best I ever recall was .19 per gallon!
    I know I remember when it was 25¢, not sure I remember when it was lower than that.  I was alive when it was lower, but I'm not sure I was paying attention to gas prices.  :)

Of course, we made less money back then, too, so it sort of equals out!  A decade later, I worked for the summer at General Motors' Fisher Body Plant #1 spot welding on an automotive assembly line, and I made something like $3.75 an hour, and that was BIG MONEY in those days.  Bought myself a TV to take to college, felt like I was RICH.  These days they are trying to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour...  So when gas was a quarter or less per gallon, we made a LOT less money.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pops keeps bugging me to wash the cars at home every week. With dishwashing soap and a hose, like we did when I was a kid. 

And every week I tell him "That's what rain is for! " :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    we shared a party line with the funeral home across the street =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Remember when your dad kept a hammer sitting on top of the TV?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @caliking - better to get car wash soap as the dishwashing soap is not paint friendly: (from the inter web so it must be true)
    "Don't use household cleaning agents like hand soapdishwashing detergent, or glass cleaner on the paint. These aren't formulated for use on a car's paint and may strip off the protective wax. Do... use a dedicated car-wash product, which is milder and specifically designed for use on automotive paint."
    I use Dawn dish soap whenever (and quite infrequently) I will deep clean the paint (clay bar) and then layer on the wax.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    we shared a party line with the funeral home across the street =)
    "Fishless Mortuary.  You stab 'em,  we'll slab 'em!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • tharding
    tharding Posts: 25
    We kept the pipe wrench out to use to turn the TV antenna. We could pick up two stations.

Enjoying life on my LBGE in Tell City, IN. Cheers!!

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    There was only one TV station available when we lived in Brunswick, GA. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Remember when smoking on an airplane was a thing?

Remember when the first person in your neighborhood got that magical box (the microwave)

Remember taking trips as a kid and sleeping on the back window ledge - seatbelts were optional

Remember when teaches could hit you in the classroom.

At our cottage we had a cold smoker like @ikapigian, except it wasn't used for smoking.  well, I guess you could smoke while using it...

Remember hitching a ride, when it was a thing.

Rember the original Hibatchi grill craze

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Watch out Darian, the wash bays around here you can just put in your debit card and it will run until you hit stop - you never hear the beeping so you just take your time and them BAM!

Nice thing with living in a small religious town you can wash it by hand in the bay on Sunday am and spent $1 to presoak and $1 to rinse it off.  
    That's what I do.  I bring a 5 gal and a mit, my own soap, and work quickly.  2 bucks.  Vacs are free.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @lousubcap - oh I hear ya. But my Pops would likely tell you "I need special car soap like I need a hole in my head."

Washed his Mercedes with Dawn too. That, and 25yrs of driving it in India didn't seem to do much harm to the paint job on it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @caliking - I may just move over to your Dad's approach.  Besides I don't have that many years left on the planet to worry if it all goes south.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited May 2018
    Remember when I got a lot more work done because I wasn't part of a bbq forum...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Image result for pepperidge farm remembers
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Theophan said:
    RRP said:
    ... Best I ever recall was .19 per gallon!
    I know I remember when it was 25¢, not sure I remember when it was lower than that.  I was alive when it was lower, but I'm not sure I was paying attention to gas prices.  :)

Of course, we made less money back then, too, so it sort of equals out!  A decade later, I worked for the summer at General Motors' Fisher Body Plant #1 spot welding on an automotive assembly line, and I made something like $3.75 an hour, and that was BIG MONEY in those days.  Bought myself a TV to take to college, felt like I was RICH.  These days they are trying to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour...  So when gas was a quarter or less per gallon, we made a LOT less money.
    When gas was 25cents and you made $3.75/hr it took 4 minutes to earn 1 gallon of gas.

When gas is 2.80 and you make $15/hr it takes you 11 minutes to earn 1 gallon of gas.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Sioux Falls is a cool town.  I used to work their regularly and started during January. I remember seeing the falls the first time, and they were one big block of ice.  I also used to go to a real nice steakhouse there.  Can’t remember the name of it. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    thetrim said:
    Sioux Falls is a cool town.  I used to work their regularly and started during January. I remember seeing the falls the first time, and they were one big block of ice.  I also used to go to a real nice steakhouse there.  Can’t remember the name of it. 
    My 40th HS reunion is this coming July, and the Friday mixer and Saturday night formal dinner are in a cafe overlooking Falls Park, that'll be cool.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2018
    blasting said:

Remember hitching a ride, when it was a thing.

Back when I was in college my freshman & sophomore years near KC, MO there was a guy who drove clear across MO to St Louis every Friday and returned every Sunday. He charged $1 each way! That was too rich for me so I always hitch hiked when I wanted to go home. My parents did not approve of my hitch hiking so I always told them a guy who lived in a nearby town gave me a lift and then they would drive 35 miles to pick me up. The reverse method also worked.

By my Junior year I had saved enough from a summer job to buy my own car..
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.