Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger

Options
Just a quick introduction.  A friend gave me his MBGE, as he is moving and chose not to bring it for the journey due to its weight.  Did a clean burn this afternoon and will replace the gasket.  Spring maintenance.  Burn didn't seem wicked hot, so perplexed.  By this weekend, I'll be cooking something.  Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here.
Virginia Beach, VA

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Welcome enjoy the ride!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome.  Post pics of your first cook! We’d love to see it and pic fun at your choice of beverage. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Enjoy the ride!
    this group here....although some of them would benefit from the services of mental health professionals....they are some of the funniest sob's I have ever been around.... And boy they know how to cook!
    -all the best and welcome.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Welcome. The medium is an awesome cooker. Let us know if we can help shorten your learning curve. 
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks, all.  Will definitely post pics.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Welcome!  Have fun!  Also, make sure your thermo is calibrated.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Calibrated thermo yesterday and will get at least one sophisticated temp solution.  Thanks!
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just a quick introduction.  A friend gave me his MBGE, as he is moving and chose not to bring it for the journey due to its weight.  Did a clean burn this afternoon and will replace the gasket.  Spring maintenance.  Burn didn't seem wicked hot, so perplexed.  By this weekend, I'll be cooking something.  Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here.
    Congrats, and no offense, but unless your friend is buying a new egg at his new destination, he tends to make bad decisions.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    Calibrated thermo yesterday and will get at least one sophisticated temp solution.  Thanks!
    Not sure what that means.  I use lump and air to manipulate temperature and it works fine.
    NOLA
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    ...by which I meant good probe and grill thermometer.  Sorry to be imprecise!
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • buzd504
    Options
    ...by which I meant good probe and grill thermometer.  Sorry to be imprecise!
    I was being a bit snarky.  The BGE dome thermo and an instant read thermometer (thermapen) are really all I use.  I bought a Maverick and some other gadgets early on, but after a while, it's so easy to just hold temps, I quit using them.  More trouble than it's worth to set up all that crap.
    NOLA
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Congrats, and no offense, but unless your friend is buying a new egg at his new destination, he tends to make bad decisions.
    Shhh!  I could use some tools.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Welcome Aboard Shipmate!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Welcome!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  And I have a Medium and a Large, and I LOVE my Medium, and it's what I use by far the most.  It's a perfect size for most of what I do.  Enjoy the heck out of it.

One suggestion if you do determine that you're having trouble getting it very hot (I never go above 650°, and am only there for very brief sears), you might try taking everything out of the Egg including the fire ring and firebox.  I've found that after a long while, enough ash can build up where you can't see it, between the firebox and the outer wall of the Egg that it can impair the air flow.  Don't bother if your temps are fine, but if you do decide that you are having mysterious trouble, that might be something to check out.  If you do this, be sure to put the fire ring back in with the opening properly aligned with the vent opening in the outer wall.
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Great advice, all.  Thanks.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,513
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Great score, right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Welcome. Be prepared to create convincing justifications in order to buy a bunch of Egg Toys. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey welcome, everything I've learned about the egg is right here with these great cooks.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or say stupid things.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Welcome - that free egg is gonna cost you =)=)=)- but it will be fun.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Welcome - that free egg is gonna cost you =)=)=)- but it will be fun.
    I brought him a bottle of Angel's Envy bourbon, his favorite.  Small price.
    Virginia Beach, VA