Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Crawfish - Frozen vs Fresh

Options
As a Pennsylvania guy, we are planning a clam bake and shrimp boil for June and one of the guys thought it would be fun to have crawfish too.  We did a trial run with some frozen precooked and seasoned crawfish last night after a few adult beverages.  They were our first crawfish any of us had eaten and tasted really good.  Is it worth the expense to get live crawfish flown in or are the frozen just about as good?  Any feedback on lacrawfish.com vs Cajun Kitchen?  

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Down here, I don't think you can even get frozen crawfish like you describe.  Yuck.

I think @nolaegghead has endorsed lacrawfish, but I have heard good things about both places.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Frozen whole crawfish?   I have no experience with them.  Might be a cheaper alternative to shipping live.  That process is very common with snow/king/dungeness crab and lobster, so I don't see why it woudn't be acceptable.
    Options
    either way works for me, ive had over cooked fresh ones that were just terrible.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Frozen whole crawfish?   I have no experience with them.  Might be a cheaper alternative to shipping live.  That process is very common with snow/king/dungeness crab and lobster, so I don't see why it woudn't be acceptable.
    frozen lobster is just wrong =) alot of west coast crabs get frozen at sea, east coast lobsters are usually tanked for a few days before the freeze
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sandor181
    Sandor181 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!  The frozen ones were $30 per 5 lb container.  It was insanely easy to heat them up in the pot too.  lacrawfish.com is $130 for 30 pounds which is the amount I think we would buy, so it's a little cheaper.   I guess we'll shoot for the live bugs for this event, and that will give us our gauge on which route to go in the future.  
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm seeing  cooked and seasoned crawfish at Kroger.  They are are on ice in the seafood department.  Can I re-steam them again, to get them hot, or will they overcook and get rubbery?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    After a few beverages it's customary for the men to grab a live crawfish and have them attach to your nipple...time to see who can take it the longest and thus you'll have your "Tough Nips" award winner.  Women are less likely to participate in this tradition, but perhaps some bourbon slushies could help get them in the spirit.   This is something that cannot be duplicated with frozen crawfish.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Uncooked frozen lobster is a travesty. Much better to be cooked a bit under and then frozen. 
  • buzd504
    Options
    500 said:
    I'm seeing  cooked and seasoned crawfish at Kroger.  They are are on ice in the seafood department.  Can I re-steam them again, to get them hot, or will they overcook and get rubbery?
    If they are fully cooked, get a pot of seasoned water boiling and "dip" the crawfish in the pot for a minute or so.  You want them in the heat for the least amount of time for them to get hot.
    NOLA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    500 said:
    If they are fully cooked, get a pot of seasoned water boiling and "dip" the crawfish in the pot for a minute or so.  You want them in the heat for the least amount of time for them to get hot.
    Thanks for the tip.  I will get some and try this. Back in Ohio, as a kid, we would find them in streams under rocks.  We called them crawdads.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Mudbugs in KY.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • buzd504
    Options
    too much corn.
    NOLA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    too much corn.
    And not enough beer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga