Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Almonds

Anyone have a good tip or trick to get spices to stick to smoked almonds? Every recipe I’ve seen says to soak them in water, which I’ve done a number of times with only marginal results. 

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    My current method is to toss raw almonds with Frank's hot sauce and salt, then spread the nuts in roughly a single layer on a pizza screen, then apply desired seasoning.  I smoke the almonds either cold amaze-n pellet smoker) for a few hours or low and slow (try to keep it under 250) for about an hour; in either case I then roast the nuts in the oven at 200 for a few hours to crisp them up.  I found that trying to crisp in the egg is too finicky, and results in too many overdone / burnt nuts.

At one point I tried using egg whites as the spice binder, but find the hot sauce approach easier and adds some flavor.  Also, for years I soaked the almonds in water first, but determined it really wasn't necessary.

Good luck.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2018
    Butter is your friend!!

These are not almonds, but the same method should work.  I did these this weekend.  Smoke the nuts without any seasoning any way you like.  I usually just toast them at 300 for about 15 minutes on a pizza screen with peach or apple wood.

For about 1.5 pounds of nuts (the pics below are pecans and peanuts) use the following:

combine:

2 Tbls chopped fresh rosemary 
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp dark sugar
    2 tsp kosher salt (assuming you start with unsalted nuts).

Then combine the dry ingredients with 1 tbls of melted butter.  It makes a paste.

In a large bowl, toss the smoked nuts, while still warm with the paste till coated well.

I assume the butter combined with any seasoning to make a paste will work fine.  

These are really good - not my recipe and I can't remember where it came from.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    This look awesome, but the butter thing won’t fly with the wife. She likes having the almonds around as a healthy snack. Thinking I may try the hot sauce or just grinding the rub/spices to a finer powder to increase the amount that sticks. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I bought a cheap coffee grinder and grind my spices into a fine powder for seasoning almonds when I smoke them. It does help them to stick a little better.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Toss almonds with a tablespoon of olive oil per pound of nuts, sprinkle seasoning, lay out and smoke.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    CornfedMA said:
    This look awesome, but the butter thing won’t fly with the wife. She likes having the almonds around as a healthy snack. Thinking I may try the hot sauce or just grinding the rub/spices to a finer powder to increase the amount that sticks. 

I've had good luck with butter as a coating for nuts - sweet with some brown sugar and cocoa powder, or savory with garlic powder and paprika & salt. 

If you are eating a handful of nuts, the fat from butter will be a small fraction of the fat consumed. A 1/4 cup of almonds is going to have 18g of fat vs maybe a 1-2 g from the butter.

If you want a 'healthier' fat, you could try olive oil.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    We make these for every party we have, our guest love them.  We grind the spices in an old coffee grinder.

Spicy Smoked Almonds - from Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn

1lb raw almonds
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic pepper
    1 tbsp finely ground kosher salt or fine sea salt
    2 tsp chile powder
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

the recipe reads:
    lay the almonds on rack & cold smoke for 2 to 3 hours
    preheat oven to 375
    combine oil and spices in a bowl & toss with almonds to coat , spread on baking sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring several times , remove from oven -taste, add more salt if needed
    can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks

Edina, MN

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Budgeezer said:
    We make these for every party we have, our guest love them.  We grind the spices in an old coffee grinder.

Spicy Smoked Almonds - from Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn

1lb raw almonds
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic pepper
    1 tbsp finely ground kosher salt or fine sea salt
    2 tsp chile powder
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

the recipe reads:
    lay the almonds on rack & cold smoke for 2 to 3 hours
    preheat oven to 375
    combine oil and spices in a bowl & toss with almonds to coat , spread on baking sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring several times , remove from oven -taste, add more salt if needed
    can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks

This looks tasty - I may have to borrow this method.  (They never last two days, let alone two weeks in my house, so that isn't an issue :).)

To OP - If butter is a problem, you could try substituting vegetable oil or olive oil as several others have used above.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Budgeezer  Thanks for posting this.  I have this book, but had not read it yet.  I will be trying these.  I wonder why they can only be stored for 2 weeks?

Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Those nuts look good! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site