Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do’s and dont’s

Options
new to it. Just got one. I need tips.  And some good first timer cooks. 

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    1) spatchcock chicken
    2) thermapen
    3) call Tom

Little Rock, AR

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I'd suggest looking around a bit, kicking the tires and then pose any questions you might have. They will be answered quickly and mostly accurately.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Ribs are a good first time cook.  Search on here about the different methods people use.  One option is the 3-2-1 method which is very basically 3 hours on indirect, 2 hours wrapped in foil and one hour off.  My version of that is more like 3-1-1 or 3-1-0.5.  Probing with a tootpick or fork is the best way to see if its "done".  Some people will recommend turbo which is cooking it at a higher temp.  I find its tough to hit the sweet spot with that method but I am sure it works well for people.  Mostly experiment and find what you like the best.  Good luck! 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Give the search function here a look as you will find many threads related to your topic of choice.  Then post up some more specific questions and you will get all the information you need.  BTW- with most cooks there are many ways to get there so just jump in and have at it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Don't chase temperature.  Biggest rookie mistake.  IMO 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Learn airflow/temperature control. My 1st cook, started the fire, left both vents wide open, went to prep the meat, someone came to the door, we started talking. When I got back to the Egg, it was running quickly up over 500F. Took forever to come down. 2nd cook, thought the beef ribs were done, took them off, and shut down the Egg. Found them way underdone. Saw there was just a bit of lump still going, so I opened the vents wide, and put the meat back in. Came back maybe 10 minutes later, had a blue jet coming from the top. Once I got it quelled, I retrieved the incinerated meat.

Also, had a tendency early one to put the food one before the "bad" smoke was all gone, so had bitter flavors. The "good" smoke from an Egg is very pale and wispy, almost invisible.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome.  For first cooks, stay simple and cook things you like and have cooked before.  Concentrate the first few cooks on learning the egg rather than learning new items to cook.  Fire up the egg and play around with temperature control without actually cooking anything.  Learning how the egg responds to vent settings will be very useful.

The egg is ceramic.  The ceramic takes time to heat up or cool down. Be patient when adjusting temps - it is quite different than any metal grill you may be used to. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    read up on flashbacks

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    My first cook was chicken leg quarters, about 350 direct, turned out great and you don't have to mess with temp really. Once you do a simple cook you just keep trying new things, you will be an expert in no time. 
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Oh and you will make mistakes, everyone has....
  • Daddy_3_boys
    Options
    Oh and you will make mistakes, everyone has....
    I have made a few already. I’ve tried to cook some vegetables and they came out tasting like charcoal. Then I tend to always end up over cooking. 
  • Daddy_3_boys
    Options

I’ve did that first my step father is the one who helped get it started and he has learned the hard way 
  • Daddy_3_boys
    Options
    I’ve had good cooks on it but also probably more bad cooks. The temp is the hardest for me to get down and trying to figure out when to put the food on. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Let your temp settle for at least 15 minutes before putting your food on. Don’t put it on if your still fiddling with the vents. I learned a lot from the YouTubes. When you change lump things can change. Faster or slower to temp. Settings that were good with one will probably need to be adjusted for the new. Don’t give up. You’ll learn and don’t be in a hurry. 
  • Daddy_3_boys
    Options
    I’m in love with it. I just hope I’ll learn sooner then later. I’m always excited to try new things with it but so far seems like just the simple stakes and burgers and chicken Brest only come out good. I have the plate setter and have yet to use it just cause I really don’t know what I should try with it. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I started with simple things...appetizers, they usually only have to be on for short times, and baked potatoes gave me a good 45 mins to watch the temp and there is quite a bit of leeway before you mess up a potatoe.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Also, depending on the kind of lump you use, you may have to let the "bad smoke" burn off due to volatile carbons (VOCs) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound

This can cause your food to taste smoky, even with a good fire (some lump takes up to an hour, some are very quick).  Wait for the smoke to clear (or become very light) before adding your food.  And note that the addition of wood (chips or chunks) can confuse this process.

NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    .... I have the plate setter and have yet to use it just cause I really don’t know what I should try with it. 
    Pork shoulder/pork butt/Boston butt is a good first indirect cook.  It is a very forgiving cook.  Key thing is to test doneness by feel/texture and not time or temp.  Everything else is personal preference.  You will see lots of various suggestions - remember that there is no one best way to do it - just apply heat and probe to test for doneness.

Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference or convenience.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Read.  Read.  Read some more. There is an amazing amount of information out there that can help you up your game.....you just have to take the time to find it.  BBQ with Franklin videos on YouTube are a wealth of knowledge but you'll have to adjust a bit as he doesn't smoke on a Kamado.  Most of all ENJOY!!  
    Welcome!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Do get an instant read thermometer.
    Dont run out and buy accessories until you have a few cooks in and figure out what you need first. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

I’ve did that first my step father is the one who helped get it started and he has learned the hard way 
    be even more careful if theres a pan with liquid like a tday turkey cook. ive blistered my fingers from steam opening the egg, you need gloves for those cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    My only two bits of advice:

Don't roller skate in a buffalo herd

and

Don't try and make this a science!  Many great things have come off the egg because of casual cooking and enjoying the moment with friends and great food!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome aboard. @Daddy_3_boys I say cook whatever you want just remember the 350 mark for first couple of cooks. Take one day at a time and enjoy the experience. The toys and tools will come just give it time.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

Don't expect to not gain weight

don't expect to not spend money on an adjustable rig, instant read or any other host of accessories.

Don't expect not to buy a Blackstone soon

Do expect a lot of happy family and friends

Do expect good times in the back yard, enjoy the extra family time, beverages and company.

welcome to the fun,

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    When someone tells you "that's the best chicken I ever had", just give a little smile and a slight nod.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have the plate setter and have yet to use it just cause I really don’t know what I should try with it. 
    The platesetter, which BGE now calls the "convEGGtor"®, is a good way to turn the upper portion of the Egg into an oven. Seems like it was 1st introduced as an easy way to allow raised indirect cooking when used inverted. It is very similar to a piece of kiln furniture, thus the older name. A raised grill w. just a piece of folded HD foil under it will accomplish the same thing, and in many cases work better.

The 'setter's ceramic absorbs a lot of heat. I've used an IR therm, and had readings above 600F, much the same as the bottom of my kitchen stove, even tho' the dome temp is much lower. I  use the 'setter if I want to roast a big hunk of meat. Or if I want to bake bread, by placing it legs down, then a pizza stone, and then the dough, so the dough gets the heat pouring out of the thick ceramic, sort of like a wood fired oven.

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    Do learn how to control your BGE temperature using the bottom vent and the daisy wheel
    Do be patient - let it go, you may think you are in control, but the food will tell you when it's done; the clock will never do that
    Do buy a Thermapen instant read thermometer
    Do know when to cook to internal temp and when to cook to feel
    Do know internal temperature numbers for what you like e.g. 160 chicken breast, 180 chicken thigh
    Do a spatchcock chicken over 375* direct
    Do use your BGE every month of the year regardless of where you live
    Do learn to cook non-traditional-grill food on your BGE i.e. bread, pie, jambalaya, naan, etc...
    Don't overthink this new gadget

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Fire up the egg and play around with temperature control without actually cooking anything.  Learning how the egg responds to vent settings will be very useful.

The egg is ceramic.  The ceramic takes time to heat up or cool down. Be patient when adjusting temps - it is quite different than any metal grill you may be used to. 

A visual guide may help while you're learning temp control:
    https://meatsmokefire.co.uk/technique/a-guide-for-setting-the-temperature-on-your-big-green-egg/ 
    Yes it is the UK but both systems are shown. Welcome and we like pictures of your cooks.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.