Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Royal Oak bags

Options
2»

Comments

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Back when I got my Egg RO was the cheaper lump.  The "better" lump was BGE which was in theory the best of the RO and sold/packaged by BGE.  Since then RO changed their source to SA and it and the BGE lump have suffered massively (IME).  So much so that if I can't get Rockwood I'll get a load of KBB and use my WSM.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Rockwood has had similar issues like RO. 

Plenty of rotted wood and uncarbonized parts in the last three bags I’ve gotten locally. 

One bag was normal, but let’s not act like RW doesn’t get junk bags. If I wasn’t a 4 bag a month user of it, I would have quit last month knowing it wasn’t their quality standard. 

It was no better ( actually worse ) than royal oak. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Royal Oak plays an important role!
    It guards my stash of Ozark Oak.lol

Looks like you stash your charcoal at a homedepot with the orange wire shelves.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    From my experience, it’s still chugging white smoke after 15 mins. Your mileage may vary. 
    You have to figure most of the home store buyers saturate their lump in lighter fluid and light it up. 15 minutes later they are cooking on that chemical smelling fire they love.lol
    You must live close by. Because that's exactly what the neighbor behind me does. Every damn weekend. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Royal Oak plays an important role!
    It guards my stash of Ozark Oak.lol

Looks like you stash your charcoal at a homedepot with the orange wire shelves.
    I installed 2 sections of heavy shelves shortly after Hurricane Ike flooded my garage to help keep things organized. I wish I could tell you it worked. It just means you buy more crap.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I use mostly RO because it is affordable and easily attainable.  I also don't mind how much I use or how often I do a clean burn after dinner...

...however, I've noticed the pieces getting smaller.  A lot more dust and tiny broken pieces than there used to be.  Starting to bother me.  A symptom of larger mass production now that they are clearly going at the Home Depot account full bore and more people are buying the stuff.

I'll definitely pick up some Kamodo Joe lump the next time I see it at Costco. That stuff is great.

I do like RW of course, and FoGo. Just expensive, specially with shipping.  I don't subscribe to the argument of "you bought a $1000 grill, why do you complain about the price of lump" argument, either.  Nothing wrong with being price conscious on the consumables.  The food still tastes great.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I use a mixture of RO and this
    Image result for central market mesquite lump charcoal

Literally... I go back and forth adding more lump to the egg with each cook.  I like the price of both of them but I dont like either of them on their own so I found that a mixture of both (maybe 60% Mesquite) fits my preferred smoke profile.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Bafromet
    Options
    Where did you find the Royal Oak with the American flag on it?  I just went through a bag and it was excellent!  (forgot where I bought it - ehhh)

Scott from East Texas