Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt temp dropped/keeping warm

Options
hey folks - 

2nd time trying a pork butt and looking for a little guidance. Here's the deal

- Put 8lb butt on last night. Was shooting for 225, temp dropped in night and I tweaked it during night
- Butt got to 196 today at about 11:30 - temp dropped to 216 and now it's at 190
- I'd like to have this pulled and ready to serve by 5:30 for a crowd

- Advice on next steps? I've opened up the DW some to try and get back to 225. Was thinking of getting it to 200 then tenting in foil until I pull it around 5. Does that sound right?

Any insight appreciated!

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Internal temps are to be used only as an indication of when to check for tenderness.  Do not end the cook based on temp.  If the butt is done early, you can wrap it in foil and place in a prewarmed cooler to keep warm (several hours is fine) or in a warm oven (140-160º). No reason not to use a slightly high temp - results will be just as good and more stable fire.

Holding an egg at 225º can be tricky.  I never try for less than 240º, but I am in the warm (hot) south.  Falling temps may be an indication that you short changed the amount of charcoal you started with.  With a low and slow cook there is no reason not to fill it up completely.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheel488
    tarheel488 Posts: 11
    Options
    Very helpful - thank you!

Silly question - best way to pre warm a yeti cooler?

Meat still stuck at 190, but since it did reach 196 earlier today - are you saying it's safe to take off and foil/cooler at any point?

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Safe yes.  Tender maybe maybe not.  

Prewarm the cooler by placing something in it that is hot and has a good amount of mass and then let it set closed for a while for the air and more importantly the plastic to heat up.  Hot water works well - just don't forget to pour it out before adding the butt  =)  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Pork is pretty hard to screw up. I’d just wrap it and put it in a cooler. If falling close to 140 you can either put in the fridge or what I do some times is just put in in the crock pot and keep it warm. I’ve left in a crockpot at work up to 6 hours and totally fine.  Little food for thought on the next cook. I usually go 275 on for ten hours on a ten pounder. Then wrap once it pushes past the stalll about 170. Then cook to 202. Then left it rest in the cooler. I always put the juices that you’ll find in the foil back over the top of the pork.  It’s a winner every time. 
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Pre warm cooler by letting it sit in the sun. Well that’s what we do in Az but we have sun everyday
  • tarheel488
    Options
    Got it. Thank you! I've got the DW open and the bottom vent more than halfway and temp still dropping - assume I've lose the fire at this point? It's been going for 17 hours. I might wrap it up and place in oven at 160 then...thanks for the help, will let you all know!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    It may be the GWN beer I am having throughout the day but I'm guessing based on the below "Butt got to 196 today at about 11:30 - temp dropped to 216 and now it's at 190." What is now at 190, BGE ??  If so, then you need to crank it up and given where you are in the cook you can go well up against the low300*F on the calibrated (?) dome to punch it home.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheel488
    Options
    @lousubcap

Sorry that wasn't clear - the butt dropped to 190 (from 196) and grate dropped to 216. Grate kept dropping despite opening up DW and vent to try and crank it up -  grate is now at 195 so thinking I lost the fire. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you are out of fuel then I would put the butt on a small rack inside an oven safe pan, add a bit of apple juice /cider keeping the level below the butt, wrap the whole thing in foil and finish it off in the clock-box.  You will sacrifice some bark consistency but you want to get it to where the bone pulls clean and/or it probes tender; likely around 202-205*F internal temp.  You've got time as a butt doesn't need a rest period prior to pulling.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheel488
    Options
    @lousubcap

OK I'm going to try that!
  • tarheel488
    Options
    Thanks both for the heads up. @lousubcap I've seen your posts in other areas and appreciate all the great input. 

I ended up wrapping in foil popping it in the oven at 325, above a tray with some apple cider vinegar (I don't have a good oven rack that fits in a pan). It hit 202F about an hour before time to eat so I wrapped in foil and towel before pulling and serving. It was great but I think could have more tender. 

Still figuring out my approach here to holding a temp but next I'll try this and try to hold at 250:

- Lighting in one spot (middle)
    - Close lid after 7 mins or when no visible flames. Bottom vent open and DW off. 
    - Once temp approaches 250, bottom vent to 1/4" or so and DW on with petals 1/2 exposed. 
    - Try to keep stable 

Appreciate all the advice!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the feed-back.  Many inquire, get some info, never to be heard from again.  Just don't change too many variables at once-your above will likely serve you well.  FWIW, I load the hardware and shut the dome once I see around a soft-ball sized volume of lump burning (one spot only for L&S).  Then dial it in.  Most BGE's have a "sweet spot" in the 240-270*F area-wherever it decides to settle works for me.  And don't chase temperature.  +/- 15-20*F works just fine.  
  • tarheel488
    Options
    @lousubcap
     For sure. Very excited to learn more and more here. That's VERY helpful to think about settling the 240 - 270 range and not chasing temperature.

Can you explain a little more about the softball size lump burning? 

I practiced today, trying to settle around 250. Process/results:

1. Lit one in middle
    2. lid on after about 7 minutes, visible flames down. 
    3. closed bottom vent to half inch and daisy maybe half open once temp around 250. 18 min. 
    4. Closed bottom vent to 1/4 in as temp approached 270. 
    5. Temp kept raising to 281, closed bottom two toothpicks and daisy to half open 1 hour 10. I then just wanted to let it ride and see where it would settle
    6. temp 269 by 1 hour 20
    7. 263 at 1 hour 40
    8. 256 two hours 
    9. 254 two hours ten
    10. 230 theee hours twenty five 
    11. 230 three hours 45
    I guess today sweet spot for that setting was around 230? So in the future, if I wanted to settle around there - assume I should do similar vent settings just earlier in the process, correct?

Lots of rookie questions here :) 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Dang- I approach any fire related cook as an analog deal.  I use the soft-ball sized fire as a ball-park guide.  Whatever fire starter (torch-excluded) has burned out, and the fire volume is there-then  load the guts, shut the dome and bring it home.  I look at L&S cooks as a very protracted event so I'm in no hurry to get to the "promised land" temperature-wise.  
    For overnight cooks (no controller here) I will light the BGE as prior described a good 2-3 hours before I plan to load the protein.  FWIW-
    BTW- there are enough variables, independent of the protein to impact the steady state temp; lump load , characteristics of the lump, air-flow thru the lump; external wind velocity and direction and that's just for the fire.  After digesting the above, don't over-think this.  The only thing you can adjust is the air-flow once you fire it up.   The other variables will dictate how you want to manage that.  FWIW-
  • tarheel488
    Options
    That's really helpful on the time to light before putting meat on. I was likely putting the meat on 45 mins after lighting, temp definitely not stable. 

I'm looking forward to trying a lot more. Our first baby may be coming this week (due date was yesterday!) - but I anticipate plenty of weekend time at home to give it another go....
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @tarheel488 - You are in for THE life-changing event.  Anticipatory congratulations.  You will find your "free" time to be close to non-existent.  Enjoy the BGE when you can.