Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teres major

i pulled out a pack from a past SRF sale. Any suggestion on the best way to cook?  This is a new one for me. 

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Paging @thetrim - any insights since you were at the learning center when Jess Pryles talked about these?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SamIAm2 said:
    Paging @thetrim - any insights since you were at the learning center when Jess Pryles talked about these?
    I don’t think that’s what he was learning  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    She ain't ugly none that's for sure.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    I just had a pack last night from that same sale.  Trimmed, salt and pepper then into the food saver bag in the fridge overnight.  Cooked with SV at 131 for about 2 hours and fifteen minutes then put them both directly on the coals in the egg, flipping once, for maybe 45-60 seconds a side for the sear.  Was pretty tasty.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited April 2018
    She just put her "black" rub on it and grilled it at eggfest.  It was delicious.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yup. She went high heat 450-500 and flipped a lot.   No reverse wear and she isn’t a fan of SV steaks.  She gave a very intestesting presentation. Also did some low and slow CAB plate ribs.   They weren’t bad either.  She did those with SnP.  Two
    parts pepper. One part kosher salt.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Well today was the day.  Coated with a bit of Holy Gospel and little extra S&P. I cooked them around 500 turning a few times. Nice Medium rare. Wow!!!  These might be my new favorite. Super tender. Great beef flavor.  
  • thetrim
    Looks like you knocked it outta the park!  I wonder if any one has seen these anywhere else?    I’ll have to look at SRF and see how they price out.  Jess said they’d be about 1/5 of the price of tenderloin.   That’s at least until everyone wises up and starts buying them all up and driving up the price.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Aka petite tender and mock tender.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • steel_egg
    I don’t remember what I paid. They were on that deal a while back to get 6 items 1/2 off off. I think?!?!  
    Will be on the lookout for more. Fantastic!!!
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    those look awesome! nice work.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    One of my favorite cooks and yours look great.  I just bought some at Restaurant Depot - Angus beef $7.50/lb for the cryovac package.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • steel_egg
    Shiff said:
    One of my favorite cooks and yours look great.  I just bought some at Restaurant Depot - Angus beef $7.50/lb for the cryovac package.
    How do they compare to the ones at SRF?  
  • Shiff
    steel_egg said:
    Shiff said:
    How do they compare to the ones at SRF?  
    I've never bought any meat from SRF, so I can't be a judge.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • thetrim
    The one's Jess had at the Sunshine State Eggfest were CAB not SRF.  Jack Arnold broke out the SFR tenderloins in the final class.  They didn't suck.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • steel_egg
    Well the wife suggested I buy some more SRF so I did and threw in a brisket. Might as well hit RD for thorough research purposes. Stay tuned. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @steel_egg - great cook and result.  Congrats. 
    And great move to strike while the iron is hot with the green-light for SRF.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff said:
    Correction and further info - I was wrong about the package I bought at Restaurant Depot - they were not Angus.  The other meat I bought there was.  These were just USDA Choice.  One thing to remember about buying these in a cryovac package is that you need to remove the silver skin before cooking.  This doesn't take too long, but it should be done.  My package had 15 of the Teres Major "steaks" and it took me an hour total to remove the silver skin and freeze them in foodsaver bags.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA