Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Argh! Cracked fire ring

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
I sure am glad I have a warranty. 18 months in and my first issue. We’ll see how good my dealer is now. Glad I registered my Egg the day I got it. 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Mine cracked around the same time, got a replacement no problem.... but it’s still in the box as the cracked one works fine 
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    My fire ring has been cracked for about 4 years. Still works fine but I do have a warrentied one in the box were I to need it. Firebox was in about 7 pieces but I did use the replacement for it.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Your prolly better off now that it has cracked and released any pressure.  Should be golden for many years 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    My rings been in 3 pieces for a while, no biggie. Firebox split into about 5 pieces, warranty took care of that. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Hmm.  Maybe I should check my internals.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Hmm.  Maybe I should check my internals.
    No need. They're in pieces, just like the rest of us. 
  • I'm on my second ring. First one lasted 4 years. This one cracked after about a month of use and is in 3 pieces but works fine. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Teefus
    edited April 2018
    Stopped by my dealer today. All they needed was my serial number and a photo of the broken ring. Order goes in Wednesday and gets delivered Friday. Pretty painless. I made a bid for a new hinge setup too. My old one requires continuous adjustments to close the lid right. She said she’d see what she could do.
  • @Teefus I got a set of the new bands under warranty for the same reason. No questions asked. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I asked for a firebox, ring, gasket and hinge. After 3 days I called the mothership and talked to (I think his name was) Bruce he said distributors handle warranty... then he said mine rings a bell, “wait I have it right here and am going to approve it for you” I guess the more in-depth warranty’s are forwarded and personally approves.

Super nice guy!

Now waiting for the dealer to inform me that it was approved and parts are on the next truck... probably going to call them 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    My fire ring has been broken into 2 pieces for at least 10 years. It still works just fine.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    It took 5+ years for mine to crack. My replacement is waiting at the dealer for me to get there and get it. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Teefus
    I picked up my new ring and the new hinge kit today. Both covered under warranty. Hoping to get the new hinge on this weekend. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I would keep using the cracked ring myself. Mine is split, I have a new one on the shelf. But ill use the cracked one until I cant anymore. Actually, I think both my L have cracked Fire Rings, and I think I have 1 cracked fire box. Still using them all, for now. Replacements are ready to go though.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    Furnace cement works great to put humpty dumpty together again.
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    Quick warranty question, do you have to use the original dealer where your egg was purchased? I was given the egg as a gift but have since relocated and there are closer dealers to my current residence.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Teefus
    I wouldn't think so, so long as the warranty was registered when you got it. They asked for my serial number, but not a receipt or other proof of purchase.
  • Teefus
    I installed the new hinge kit today. It works pretty well. I don’t know if it’s any better than the original. Most of the gasket seals tight but there are areas that don’t grip a dollar bill very tight at all. I’ll get a few cooks in and readjust.