Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Modular Nests

I was planning to build a wooden table for my large egg, but these new modular nests look pretty good.  Does anyone have any feedback on them either way?  

http://biggreenegg.com/product/modular-nests/

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Curious as well. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I have never seen those before but now I am very interested,a few of those would be perfect for me.Thanks for the post.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    they were new at the BBQ show in Nashville this year, I saw the video.  I think they are just hitting the market. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Now that looks like the hot ticket. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    why would one want this just to lose the capability of your side tables?

am I missing something that this offers...maybe better stability when..but it has not casters...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Anyone have insight into the retail price of these modules??
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Thanks for the post! I just now got an outdoor prep table that I like, now I might need one of these.
    LBGE
    AL
  • YEMTrey
    According to a FB post, the modular that holds the egg is $439 and the other table is $450.
    Steve 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Yikes, ill build a table for that price. 

I thought the side tables were useless, cant hold much weight and were small. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Those are the new tables from BGE. Supposed to be available this month from what I'm told. Pretty much you build your own table with the desired pieces. They have different options for shelves: stainless steel, grated stainless steel and a few different wood option. Pretty cool from what I've seen. Here are the suggested retail prices

Modular Nest System-Lg Egg Frame w/wire Insert       428.95
    Modular Nest System-XL Egg Frame w/wire insert      428.95
    Expansion Frame for Modular Nest System 
    Stainless Steel Grid Insert f/Modular Nest System       118.95
    Acacia Insert for Modular Nest System 
    Distressed Acacia Insert f/Modular Nest System        98.95
    Solid Stainless Steel Insert f/Modular Nest System
    Tool Hook for Modular Nest System         24.95
    Connector Pack for Modular Nest System 
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2018
    I saw them in Nashville and will be ordering them next week for our store.  Very nice tables.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    By the time you add it up, wouldn't a kick-ass challenger table be similar in price?
    Stillwater, MN
  • YEMTrey
    If you do three modular units (my plans), you'd still be half the price of the Challenger table, $1,500 compared to $3,000, and you'd have more surface tabletop surface area.
    Steve 

• Lots of options for dual Egg set-ups.  May not be for everyone, but I like.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    That's a nice looking setup. You still have to find some countertop though, so that will take it into Challenger territory. I'd still rather have closed storage.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    By the time you add it up, wouldn't a kick-ass challenger table be similar in price?

Maybe
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Tspud1 said:

Maybe
    Don't worry, when my cedar table falls apart you're my first call.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Interesting that BGE has come out with a line of modular nest products. I have been thinking recently whether to build a long table myself or simply have the contractor put in a stone cooking station of my design when we have a patio put in this summer.

The modular system presents a clean and open look; but, the downside for me is that it doesn't offer any drawer or cabinet options. Everything I would want to store (lump charcoal) or keep close to the Eggs (butcher paper, foil, cutting boards) would be left open to the elements (rain, pollen, dust, zombies, etc.) if just using the items they have listed on the Web page.

I would have very likely bought a modular nest system when I first bought my Large. But, after some experience and having a second BGE, I'll continue with my original line of thinking about a custom table or stone cooking station.

Hope my perspective helps. Regardless... Happy Smoking!
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• Jbirdie6
    Jbirdie6 Posts: 15
    This seems pretty intreresting. My thought would be make your own insert for the expansion frame. Maybe get some nice granite pieces cut out and use those?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    That’s a lot more expensive then I would have guessed. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Makes a 2k Weber summit grilling center a steal 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    YEMTrey said:
    According to a FB post, the modular that holds the egg is $439 and the other table is $450.
    Rip Off
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Stay with my nests and handlers. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I had a standard nest for my Xl and replaced it with a challemger cart so that I could store all my Eggccesories.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    My dealer has a few units in the store now. Pretty great idea. Between custom stonework, challenger cart, build your own wooden table, and this, there’s a lot of great options.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Has anyone seen these in person, better yet, anyone have first hand use of them?
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Chris8938 said:
    Has anyone seen these in person, better yet, anyone have first hand use of them?
    We have them on the floor. We are going to order one for an XL store burn unit with our next order. The larger wheels are a real nice upgrade. They also raise the cook surface up a bit which is nice for taller folks for sure. I’ll have some real use experience later. Lots of options on configuration and surface finishes.