Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morning turkey

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
making for lunch for neighbor whose husband passed two days ago. Coffee rub
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Very nice of you. And nice setup!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Just want to agree that this is very nice of you. Looks good. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Sorry for your neighbor but she will enjoy a coffee rubbed turkey. Mickey’s?
  • Mickey
    Sorry for your neighbor but she will enjoy a coffee rubbed turkey. Mickey’s?
    Yep
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gulfcoastguy
    Sorry that should’ve been obvious. On a side note all my relatives love a Mickey!s Rub turkey now. I even gave my new Egger aunt a jar mixed up sans recipe. Waiting for her to ask for it.
  • Mickey
    Sorry that should’ve been obvious. On a side note all my relatives love a Mickey!s Rub turkey now. I even gave my new Egger aunt a jar mixed up sans recipe. Waiting for her to ask for it.
    Where do you live? TX or ??

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Great gesture right there as noted above.  I am sure very much appreciated.

Regarding coffee rub:  I credit @Mickey with my enlightenment .  As a non-coffee drinker I would never have thought it was of any value in a rub.  I have seen the light.  I have made his rub and given I am getting ever more lazy acquired a few commercial versions.  All are a great enhancement to any poultry cook.  Give it a go-you will become a believer.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Mickey said:
    Mississippi Gulf Coast, the Aunt lives 100 miles inland though.  As  I said sorry I was in a hurry this morning and didn't notice who as posting. A better question would be is, was it your standard coffee rub as found on this forum or have you tweaked it? Anyhow great recipe and I'm sure your neighbor appreciated it. I've got to go check on my ribs now.
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Mississippi Gulf Coast, the Aunt lives 100 miles inland though.  As  I said sorry I was in a hurry this morning and didn't notice who as posting. A better question would be is, was it your standard coffee rub as found on this forum or have you tweaked it? Anyhow great recipe and I'm sure your neighbor appreciated it. I've got to go check on my ribs now.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Thanks, that is the recipe that I found on this forum. I ordered the Ancho powder through amazon. I fresh grind dark roast espresso beans and black peppercorns. I use demadera sugar rather than brown because I have it on hand and it doesn’t turn into a rock on me .