Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Platesetter (XL)

Options
Unfortunately my XL plate setter broke in half right as I was getting ready to cook 2 pork butts. Luckily I was able to get the halves to rest on each other and finish the cook.

What's a good recommended replacement? (BGE or CI plate setter or something from the CGS) What about cost differences between the different options?

Thanks,

Comments

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the PS!  I’ve got an XL with the BGE ceramic PS & I also have an XL Woo with (2) 17” 1/2 stones.  I’ve been happy with the Woo & (2) 1/2 stones.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How old is it? They have a 3 year warranty.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,233
    Options
    I’d recommend the XL woo. In addition to traditional indirect cooking, it allows you to cook raised direct. Raised direct is a game changer. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    Don't throw it away.  Cut the legs off and you have two half stones.  Get a CGS rig and you now have a plate setter again using those half stones.  And they're more useful than they were before!
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    XL Woo & Stone
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Don't throw it away.  Cut the legs off and you have two half stones.  Get a CGS rig and you now have a plate setter again using those half stones.  And they're more useful than they were before!
    ^ this
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Don't have an XL, but couldn't recommend the Ceramic Grill Store more for all your BGE needs. Call Tom and he'll hook you up with what you need.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Cuda1965 said:
    Unfortunately my XL plate setter broke in half right as I was getting ready to cook 2 pork butts. Luckily I was able to get the halves to rest on each other and finish the cook.

What's a good recommended replacement? (BGE or CI plate setter or something from the CGS) What about cost differences between the different options?

Thanks,

Same thing happened to me. I bought the CGS Woo, stone and the adjustible rig and have been happy ever since.
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Another vote for Woo. I like @stlcharcoal idea! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    XLWoo! And might as well go ahead and get the XL AR while you are at it!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    If warranty coverage is an option do it.   Spider with stone amd multigrid setup from cgs is a great way to augment a platesetter
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I went with this rig from CGS plus the extra grid and drip pan for the "full monty."  You won't be disappointed with the flexibility this gives you for all types of cooks.  As @DoubleEgger pointed out, raised direct is a game changer, and the Woo gives you two choices for raised direct: at the felt line and mid-way between felt line and fire ring.  I've found I do most of my direct grilling at that mid level these days.  Anyway, sorry to hear about the broken platesetter, but it's a good excuse to expand your BGE toolset!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Cuda1965
    Cuda1965 Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!