Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char siu, kalbi, chicken, and an OT shoulder

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
Had some time to do some cooking yesterday so I put some chicken leg quarters and char siu (marinated some pork country style ribs this time) onto the Large Egg on two levels using the PS Woo Extender:

Once that was off I pulled off the plate setter and put on some marinated, thinly sliced boneless chuck short ribs for kalbi raised direct:

I hadn't used my gravity feed smoker (OT cause its non-Egg related) this year so I fired it up and threw a butt on it and wrapped it in butcher paper after a few hours.  Finished shoulder:

Had some leftover char siu for dinner tonight:

Going to enjoy leftovers for a few days.  Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I’d eat all of that
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
     Char siu? Instruct me, please!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    i second Char siu?
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice! All looks amazing. Char Siu is really good.. Thanks for the reminder of when I did it a while back.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177485/char-siu-cantonese-pork/p1

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Char siu (a.k.a. Chinese BBQ pork) can be made using strips of pork butt or loin (if you like a leaner cut).  I prefer to cut up a boneless butt or use country style ribs (pre sliced butt).

There are many recipes that can be used for the marinade.  There’s also marinades from a jar that work well.  

Here’s what I did:

About 3 lbs boneless pork butt cut into strips approx. 1 ½” wide by 1” thick
    2/3 of a jar of char siu sauce such as Lee Kee Kum or Amoy brand
    1/3 of a jar of hoisin sauce

During the cook:
    Honey
    Brown sugar

Preparation:
    Place pork strips into sauce mix and marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hrs or overnight.  Stabilize Egg at approximately 300 degrees.  Place pork on Egg cooking grid and drizzle honey over top and lightly sprinkle with brown sugar.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Flip over and repeat honey and brown sugar.  Cook for another 30 minutes and start checking internal temp. 

I find cooking the pork to an internal temp of about 180-190 allows it to get tender yet firm enough for slicing.  

@Canugghead shared this link for a Sous vide version that looks good but I haven’t tried it yet: http://chubbyhubby.net/recipes/perfect-char-siu-barbecued-pork-using-sous-vide/

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Chubbs said:
    Nice! All looks amazing. Char Siu is really good.. Thanks for the reminder of when I did it a while back.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177485/char-siu-cantonese-pork/p1

Nice! I like how you hung it like they do in Chinatown.

Bay Area, CA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    heck yeah!  that looks amazing.  i love char siu.  i think i just drooled on the keyboard.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I doing the char siu tonight. White sticky basmati. Any other use recommendation? :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• R2Egg2Q
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nice.  Some possibile uses: chow mein, fried rice, soups, in a bun (char siu bao).  Here’s a past post where @caliking made a pork bao: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150304/pulled-pork-bao

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude... ALL of that looks fantastic!

I've been meaning to make char siu for a long time. Need to get it done. Thanks for your recipe. 

And char siu bao should defintely be done :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.