Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss Storage Box

Options
I was looking for a fun woodworking project and this is what I came up with. The oak and walnut box look a lot better than the cardboard box I had it in. It was fun and I am very happy with it.

Comments

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Very nice!

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Very nice! I wish I had time to get back into my woodshop, life just to busy lately.
    BTW, I have that same Radio Shack thermometer. I'm guessing mine is almost 30 years old and still reliable.
  • Coldspring
    Options
    A lot more attractive than my Harbor Freight plastic ammo box. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Very nice. Bet you could make a very nice humidor.
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    That's beautiful. Let me know if you are interested in making a few hundred more. :)
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    That is awesome. I was thinking about doing something similar. Do you have plans to share?
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I was looking for a fun woodworking project and this is what I came up with. The oak and walnut box look a lot better than the cardboard box I had it in. It was fun and I am very happy with it.

No $hit :)

That's a handsome box for your FB. Very nicely done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Beautiful work!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Laserlarry
    Options
    That is awesome. I was thinking about doing something similar. Do you have plans to share?

I don't have blueprints but I can tell you some dimensions.
    It's 13" long, 7" wide, the bottom is 3" tall, the lid is 1" tall with a .5" deep lip. If you look close at the last picture,  you can see a .25" thick, 1" tall strip of maple along the 13" side, under the hinge. There is another along the front side. Both are glued to both the sides and the bottom of the box.( which is .25 thick plywood). Those hold up the "tray" and provide the space for the temperature probes and wires. I traced the parts and used a router and chisel to make the pockets for the parts. I have access to a cnc router, but I thought I'd try old school, I need practice.  The "tray" is .75" thick. The trick is to get the parts close enough to the inside of the lid so you can tip it up-side-down and nothing moves.
    If you look close, you can see that I glued a long walnut-oak-walnut board then cut the side, then lid, then other side so the grain of the three board wraps up and over the top( and back down, not shown). All the corners are mitered, every joint glued.  Hope this helps, if you do make one and post it here please send me a message so I don't miss it. Here is a picture of the tray.

• Laserlarry
    Options
    That's beautiful. Let me know if you are interested in making a few hundred more. :)
    Maybe when I retire, that's still a couple of years away.
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    @Laserlarry - Thank you for the extra details. I will let you know if I get to making one. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.