Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF 2 Ways Tonight — Rib Eye Cap + Tri Tip

Options
Treating our friends right this evening with goodies from the last real SRF sale.

Reverse sear for both, so anticipating that timing and beverage management will be come into play. Never had tri before — it got the coffee rub. The cap got hit with some holy cow fortified with Montreal.  

Will try to post results, but won’t be surprised if things escalate quickly around here and the opportunity slips by. 

Happy Saturday, all!

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    If it doesn't come out perfectly you ain't gonna be able to blame the plane - it's gonna be pilot error. 

Stay out of LEO until you're done cooking. =)=)=)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    That's some top shelf protein.  Enjoy the cook and entertainment.  
    Can't tell from the pic but is the cap thick enough for a reverse sear?    I'm no expert but if the steak is less than around 1 1/4" thick, I just go direct.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That's some top shelf protein.  Enjoy the cook and entertainment.  
    Can't tell from the pic but is the cap thick enough for a reverse sear?    I'm no expert but if the steak is less than around 1 1/4" thick, I just go direct.  FWIW-
    Fair question. I’ve done it before with strong results, but requires vigilance and concentration, both of which can be a challenge when the drinks aren’t pouring.  Will keep the temp down at 225-250 and try not to get too buried in cocktails to blow it. Expect to have some experts offering up opinions, too. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Got a couple of pix, but none plated. Was so concerned about overcooking, I prolly (def said swmbo) pulled them too rare for some of the guests. I was very happy with them tho — that’s how I like my steak.

The cap literally was fork tender. The tri had more tooth, even sliced against the grain. And they had very different flavor profiles, which made for a real treat. 

Thanks for looking!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Great job with that cook.  Fork placement for the win.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Looks good.  No matter how you cooked them tri tip is not a tender cut of meat.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser