Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating egged pulled pork in crock pot

Options
I generally foodsaver any leftover pulled pork and reheat with the Anova.  

In a couple of weeks I am making some pulled pork in advance for my kid's swim meet (cooking the night before then pulling after FTC just isn't an option) and am planning to use a crock pot beginning at 7 in the morning to reheat for a noon feed.  I won't have any time to tend to anything after I set this up at 7 and am worried the pork will dry out.  Anyone have any recommendations for adding anything to the pork for the reheat in the crock pot?  I wasn't going to sauce for the reheat but just let folks do that from the bottle if they choose cause I think the pork is better straight-up.  

Other idea I had was to not pull the pork after it comes off the egg and then place the whole butts in the crock pot to reheat, then have someone pull after everything is warm just prior to eating.  Never done this before so I am not sure leaving it whole is smart or whether those whole chunks will even be ready to pull in 5 hours.

Any thoughts?  And thanks in advance.
Eggin' with a Large and Small
Twin Cities, MN

Comments

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Should be OK but if it's going to go 5 hrs. I'd be sure and heat it on Lo. You could add a little chicken stock to aid against any drying.  Another thought would be to break it up in big chunks, heat on Lo and then pull it at noon. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    If you're worried about the pork getting dry, have some Dr. Pepper or Coke on hand, pour some in the pork to get it back moist and you should be good to go.  Don't use diet Dr. Pepper or Coke, though.  

I do this when I make pork for a tailgate that is 2+ hours away and have never had complaints.  Then again, the people consuming the pork are usually well lubricated.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Pull the pork as normal after cooking.  Reheat with apple cider vinegar in the crock.  Just enough to cover the bottom of the crock.  Use tongs to rotate pork once an hour-ish.  May have to add more ACV right before serving.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    regular coke works fine in a crock for reheat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Cider works well for a reheat too.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar or apple juice is fine to use 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Sounds like I have some good options.  Thanks very much to all for the feedback.
    Twin Cities, MN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on Coke.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but why aren't you going to cook, pull, vac seal, refrigerate and then put the vac bags in a 160° sous vide bath for 30 minutes or as long as needed? 

BTW, I tried Coke once. Never again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Pull the pork as normal after cooking.  Reheat with apple cider vinegar in the crock.  Just enough to cover the bottom of the crock.  Use tongs to rotate pork once an hour-ish.  May have to add more ACV right before serving.

This is what I do with a slight modification: a 50/50 mix of ACV and water. Works like a champ. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but why aren't you going to cook, pull, vac seal, refrigerate and then put the vac bags in a 160° sous vide bath for 30 minutes or as long as needed? 

I gotta go with Q on this one. Take your SV with you and set it up for 160. Get someone to drop the bags in at the appropriate time if you can’t slide away for two or three minutes. SV > Crock Pot
  • chard
    Options

I gotta go with Q on this one. Take your SV with you and set it up for 160. Get someone to drop the bags in at the appropriate time if you can’t slide away for two or three minutes. SV > Crock Pot
    Thank you both.  Time to rethink the sv.  The kid's team is hosting the meet so I am truly tied up with other duties after 7 a.m. and that is why I thought the crock was the best Ron Popeil option. 
    Twin Cities, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Why not pork in SV bag, bag in crock pot on low with a few cups of water under it?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Keep some of the drippings from when you cook it.
    NOLA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have done this for work meetings numerous times. When you put it in the crock pot just add a full can of REGULAR COKE and it will be just fine. No Coke taste or added sweetness just keeps it moist. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I have done this for work meetings numerous times. When you put it in the crock pot just add a full can of REGULAR COKE and it will be just fine. No Coke taste or added sweetness just keeps it moist. 

This is the way to go I have done it many times and have asked people if they can tell me the secret ingredient is, the never can and won't believe me when I say Coke!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options

This is the way to go I have done it many times and have asked people if they can tell me the secret ingredient is, the never can and won't believe me when I say Coke!

That's where we defer, Jim! When I have supplied/served multiple pounds to large groups I never tell them my Coke secret ever since I had a 30 something drunken gal go nutso and started yelling she hates Coca Cola blah blah blah. Now I just smile and say the BGE works it's magic on pork butts.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggerinMO
    EggerinMO Posts: 49
    Options
    chard said:
    I generally foodsaver any leftover pulled pork and reheat with the Anova.  

In a couple of weeks I am making some pulled pork in advance for my kid's swim meet (cooking the night before then pulling after FTC just isn't an option) and am planning to use a crock pot beginning at 7 in the morning to reheat for a noon feed.  I won't have any time to tend to anything after I set this up at 7 and am worried the pork will dry out.  Anyone have any recommendations for adding anything to the pork for the reheat in the crock pot?  I wasn't going to sauce for the reheat but just let folks do that from the bottle if they choose cause I think the pork is better straight-up.  

Other idea I had was to not pull the pork after it comes off the egg and then place the whole butts in the crock pot to reheat, then have someone pull after everything is warm just prior to eating.  Never done this before so I am not sure leaving it whole is smart or whether those whole chunks will even be ready to pull in 5 hours.

Any thoughts?  And thanks in advance.
    Hey chard,

How did the reheat of the Q go?  I am going to be reheating some pulled pork and beans for a feed at work and just wanted to know how the reheat in the crock pot went?  Did you use low for several hours or high?  How long did it take? I will be saving the liquid from the cook to put in the crock pot for the reheat and have ACV/AJ on hand to keep it moist.

Thanks

L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

• chard
    Options
    I ended up making the pulled pork a week ahead of time and then bagged it with some of the liquid from the cook.  I took it out of the bag and into the crock pot the morning of the meet and started it off on low.  I placed saran wrap over the top of the pot before I put the cover on as well.  I realized after the first hour and a half that I had way too much pork in the crock pot to get it to temp in time (should've known better and would guess the crock pot was 85-90% full of packed meat).  So I ended up cranking the temp to high and had someone mix it every 20-30 minutes to try and get it up to serving temp by the deadline.  I was worried that it would dry out but that wasn't an issue at all - doing it again with the same time constraints I would put less in the pot for sure (or use two pots) but wouldn't hesitate to go this route if sv wasn't an option.  I plugged it in at 6:45 a.m. and it was my goal to be ready to eat by 11:30 and it could have used more time in the crock pot.  Good luck to you.  
    Twin Cities, MN