Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Skin Question

Options
I did a spatch chicken yesterday.  Dry brined it 24 hrs in the fridge, then a little evoo, SPOG, lemon pepper, on the egg raised direct at 350 - 375 (didn't monitor the temp closely) w/cherry smoke, done in 1 hr.  The bird had a great color and flavor.  My question is: the skin was more like leather than crispy.  It had a chewy texture that I didn't really care for.  Should I have run at a higher temp?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I did one two weeks ago, pretty much the same as you. I started it skin down, got a bit charred! However, the skin and bird were delicious! Next time I’ll start skin up, then flip when close to the finish line. 

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I usually start skin down as well, but I can't see it making that big of a difference.  I'll go about 400-425 on my spatchcocks.  Look forward to hearing from some other folks.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    start skin down til crispy, then flip. starting skin down the grease puddles between the meat and skin and fries the skin. skin up the grease doesnt lift the skin off the meat keeping the skin wet longer and rubbery
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Here's my double-secret method for crispy spatchcock chicken:

Rinse bird and dry thoroughly inside and out with paper towel.

Run your fingers between the skin and breast meat. Go slowly. The skin tears easily.

Insert a tablespoon of butter between the skin and beast meat.

Season with kosher salt.

Store bird on a rack in a sheet pan uncovered in the refrigerator over night. Don't be tempted to cover. You want the skin to dry further.

I go elevated direct @ 350 degrees.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    oil on the skin doesn't help.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Open Package,spatchcock,dry with paper towel, rub, set egg to 425ish and cook the bird high in the dome.  Skin like tater chips 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Uncovered, overnight, in the fridge is the key.